Theif or in a bad spot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Give a man some free wood he'll be warm for a night....
Let him steal it and he'll steal it everyday.

His punishment should be(the owner estimated the wood is worth $500 so I'm assuming he's burning milled mahogany) to replace all the stolen wood using a bow saw and maul.

How many trunk loads would it take in what appears to be a Honda civic to equal 500 bucks?
I guess if you calculate it based off the price of a kiln dried bundle from the grocery store atleast a few loads

Well, if your in a car, taking things at night, without asking, I'd say thief. There were some good points, if someone is truly cold, and homeless, why do they have a car, gas, etc. If some of my wood went missing w/o cause I'd set up a game cam too. If someone came to me and said they were in a bind, I'd give them a trunk load of wood, but the two finger (well two hand) discount ain't gonna cut it. Community service at the wood owner's house helping him stack it or something. But $500 is a bit stupid IMHO.

TS

Just one more use for the trail cameras. Glad this one caught the thief. I've seen cases where the cams have actually caught theives stealing game cameras. Just have to place one where it is very difficult to detect.

Good use of cameras.

$500 about right IMO.
Cost based on how much work is into getting the wood, CSS & seasoned a year or 2, at $25/hour wages.
Takes me about 6 hours to get a load of rounds home. + fuel, equipment etc. About 1/2 a cord.

My wood could be for sale, but not at a competitive price with wood sellers :)
I work cheap for me, not thieves.

I have no sympathy for thieves . . . no matter if they steal a candy bar from a store or a brand new car . . . to me, it's not just the value of the item, it's the feeling of being violated . . . of having someone come along and decide to help themselves to the fruits of your labor whether it be something you've worked hard for and paid for or literally worked for in the case of processing your own firewood.

There are programs to help people heat their homes in Maine, including emergency assistance if you are about to run out of fuel of any kind to heat your home.

There is no reason to be stealing firewood or oil for that matter which I've also seen in local news that people have been caught stealing.

Give a man some free wood he'll be warm for a night....
Let him steal it and he'll steal it everyday.

His punishment should be(the owner estimated the wood is worth $500 so I'm assuming he's burning milled mahogany) to replace all the stolen wood using a bow saw and maul.

How many trunk loads would it take in what appears to be a Honda civic to equal 500 bucks?
I guess if you calculate it based off the price of a kiln dried bundle from the grocery store atleast a few loads

A civic trunk has about 12 cubic feet. So... 24 cubic feet of wood stolen. Or about 1/6 of a cord. So the going rate of a cord of wood is about 3000 dollars?

Really make you question those 'street value' estimates after drug busts.

This is what should happen to people who steal other people's stuff.

Watch the whole movie.

If he really needed wood why not collect it from the forest? Yes, if the forest is on private land it would still be stealing, and if it is public land maybe you need a permit or aren't allowed to collect firewood, but collecting wood, even from private land, seems a lot less like stealing and a lot more like survival than stealing split, stacked firewood.

HE is to lazy to collect his own in that fashion Duck. Like all theifs. Why steal someones AC unit for $75 when they could go work, there lazy and dont care about others.

I own some acerage, but if i knew there was someone in the area that needed some wood to heat with i would tell them to cut what they need on the ground THIS one time. If you need more maybe we can figure something else out. I probly would even help them cut and load.

There is plenty of forestry activities there, you could probly get all you wanted out of a pile there somewhere after logging was through. Maybe they dont have a saw or axe?

I just dont want to be turned into a free loading area for wood for them forever.

My cosin caught someone steeling his whole winter firewood out of his barn. (Barn was at another location so it took awhile to know it was stolen) Game cam is what he used and guess what it was a good friend.

My cosin caught someone steeling his whole winter firewood out of his barn. (Barn was at another location so it took awhile to know it was stolen) Game cam is what he used and guess what it was a good friend.

Emphasis on the word "was" . . . less emphasis on the word "friend?" ;)

Sometimes it seems one never knows who to trust and who not.

It has always seemed to be that if someone has alot of something, it is assumed that it came easy. Like people with money........ with wood..........with a big house.........supplies at work etc. "Oh he's got a ton of that, it's ok" type of mentality. You have 20 cord out back? Well you can afford to give me some then. Call it firewood re-distribution, or wealth re-distribution. One who does not work, does not eat.

TS

Reactions: Ash_403
Status
Not open for further replies.