Thelin 3000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the Parlor 3000 non electronic ignition version and was very satisfied with it. It ran consistently with never a problem or issue. The thermostatically controlled high and low system worked perfectly for my application and when connected to a programmable thermostat, allowed even better control of the volume of pellets used, and improved control over the heat regulation when I was and wasn't there. Build quality was excellent - far superior to the Quadrafire Castille I bought at the same time (the quad interior started to rust after a couple of months of non - use, where the Thelin never had a hint of corrosion). I highly recommend the unit.

Just curious, that's not a common complaint. Was the Thelin installed in the same location/flue as the Quad?

The Thelin was installed in the basement - venting into 40foot chimney. The Quad is in the kitchen and using direct vent method - straight out the back wall. Both utilized at same rates, durations, and time periods, but it is the Quad that seemed most affected by environment during off season - the cast iron pieces in the back were the most affected. I now make it an annual ritual to sand and high temp paint the interior to keep it looking good, but I never had to do that with the Thelin.

I wonder if at the end of the burn season, cleaning the inside and spraying with cooking oil (like Pam) would help?

use WD-40 rather then cooking oil. machine oil is designed to coat metal.

Also, I am nervous of coating with cooking oil because when it is heated, it can do funny stuff, such as form a tough polymer layer.

(as an experiment, heat up a few drops of cooking oil in a teflon coated pan, then let it sit at room temp for a day or two. then try to get it off)

Status
Not open for further replies.