1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Thelin gnome auger motor?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Mdw1219, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Mdw1219

Mdw1219 New Member

Loc:
    Suffern NY
    Anyone know what rpm the auger motor is? The brushes are bad in mine started to fluctuate speed today, any idea where i can get a replacement or new brushes?, I see alot of them on amazon for great prices, but i dont know i they will fit. Any ideas opinions welcomed!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Mdw1219

Mdw1219 New Member

Loc:
    Suffern NY
    Heres the motor and its info ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359761889.355377.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359761896.944471.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359761904.829822.jpg
  3. Steve L

Steve L New Member

Did you get any feedback or ideas? My Gnome motor gets week and jambs by the end of the heating season. I'm looking for an alternate motor that might last longer but have not had any luck finding one. I'm also wondering if this motor can be serviced to bring it back to spec.
  4. imacman

imacman Guest

Hopefully, Jay Takeman will look at this thread and chime in....he's real good at finding parts like motors for stoves.
  5. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Merkle VF series. Looks like the 50 printed on the motor. Could be a 50 rpm? But I don't really know. These are very vague because there are so few stoves that use them.

Lube it up(shaft ends) hook it to a 12 volt battery and see if you can get it to spin with no load. Post how many RPM's you get per minute. Otherwise without the RPM I'd go through Thelin.
  6. stillersnut

stillersnut Member

Loc:
    south central pa.
    I owned a Gnome for years, and always just ordered parts from Thelin very reasonably priced. But that was when Jay Thelin owned the business, not sure of their customer service now, heard it sucks
  7. imacman

imacman Guest

8. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    The gearbox is probably fine(might need new lube?). Its usually the motor that kicks the bucket. Pretty sure the motors are the same, Its just the gearing thats different. IIRC the pinion is set screwed to the motor shaft and you need to split the case to change the motor(just FYI).
  9. Steve L

Steve L New Member

That does look like the right motor. For $44, it's worth a try. Thanks for the assist!