Thelin Parlour 3000 Design Change...Firepot Changes......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigruckus

Jun 2, 2011
Northern Maine, Millinocket
I was emailing a fellow Thelin owner and was writing about cleaning my Thelin Parlour for the first time...anyways he mention what I had to do the clean the firepot...after a couple of emails and photos we discovered that my firepot was completely different then his....well I just called the company and I guess Thelin did change the firepot design...What puzzled me is that I had the older manual wih the newer stove and things did not match up..so the next thing I did I downloaded the manual off the Thelin website...as you can see the manual is titled different along with the firepot assembly drawings...It's funny I researched this stove and never came across that Thelin changed the firepot design...the one in my stove only has the cast iron firepot....and the ignitor is located on the left side of the pot..see pics below..the newer model is the last pic with the cast iron firepot..the older one has 3 parts to the firebox area...and the ignitor is located on the right side..

Attachments

• booklets.jpg
    booklets.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 759
  • bbb.jpg
    bbb.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 867
  • burnpot2.jpg
    burnpot2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,297
Cast iron should hold up better. The stainless pot in the parlour I had developed a bunch of cracks after just a couple years. The ignitor was centered in the bottom of the pot. The pot kinda rested on the ignitor so the pellets would have direct contact with it.

milliburner said:
Cast iron should hold up better. The stainless pot in the parlour I had developed a bunch of cracks after just a couple years. The ignitor was centered in the bottom of the pot. The pot kinda rested on the ignitor so the pellets would have direct contact with it.

Yes I think this is a better design...so far it has been running great..very easy to clean the pot/stove firebox area..

Hello,

I am new to this forum and happened upon this post while searching for replacement parts for my Thelin Parlour 3000 (My igniter needs replacing, my 3rd since owning the stove). I have owned my stove for @ 6 seasons and I have updated many of the parts in order to address the poor performanced I experienced during the first 3 years of ownership with the stove.

Of note, I have replaced the following parts:

1. Burder Pot Assembly
2. Circuit Board Timing Chip
3. Igniter
4. Fan and Auger motors / assemblies due to failure.

The stove works 200% better since updating items 1 - 3 and cleaning the stove and pipes every 3 - 4 days. The stove is sensetive to the type of Pellets burned but once dialed in it burns very well.

With that said, my main reason for adding to this thread is to note that there is another Burner Pot / Igniter design which is the one I am using. The Burner Pot shape appears to be similar to what your drawing shows, however, the igniter is shorter than the original and comes into the pot from the right hand side when facing the stove.

I would be curious to know if and how much better the stove works with the latest Burner assembly and the logic behind the evolution from what I have to the latest design?

I suspect you are all aware that the company was sold a few years ago and since then you can't call them directly to obtain parts and learn of product updates and improvements. Had I not been able to call the company and learn of the updated parts I would have replaced the stove with another brand.

The dealer I purchased my stove from has stopped selling Thelin and was unaware of the updated Burner Pot / Chip / Ignitor.

mmesa005

mmesa005 said:
Hello,

I am new to this forum and happened upon this post while searching for replacement parts for my Thelin Parlour 3000 (My igniter needs replacing, my 3rd since owning the stove). I have owned my stove for @ 6 seasons and I have updated many of the parts in order to address the poor performanced I experienced during the first 3 years of ownership with the stove.

Of note, I have replaced the following parts:

1. Burder Pot Assembly
2. Circuit Board Timing Chip
3. Igniter
4. Fan and Auger motors / assemblies due to failure.

The stove works 200% better since updating items 1 - 3 and cleaning the stove and pipes every 3 - 4 days. The stove is sensetive to the type of Pellets burned but once dialed in it burns very well.

With that said, my main reason for adding to this thread is to note that there is another Burner Pot / Igniter design which is the one I am using. The Burner Pot shape appears to be similar to what your drawing shows, however, the igniter is shorter than the original and comes into the pot from the right hand side when facing the stove.

I would be curious to know if and how much better the stove works with the latest Burner assembly and the logic behind the evolution from what I have to the latest design?

I suspect you are all aware that the company was sold a few years ago and since then you can't call them directly to obtain parts and learn of product updates and improvements. Had I not been able to call the company and learn of the updated parts I would have replaced the stove with another brand.

The dealer I purchased my stove from has stopped selling Thelin and was unaware of the updated Burner Pot / Chip / Ignitor.

mmesa005

Good timing I just finished cleaning my stove...as you know I have the newer model..mine has the cast iron pot and the ingnitor is on the left side when your facing the stove. I've been burning the new stove since Oct and have has good heat with it..the stove does like certain pellets..so far I have had good luck with the MWP.....ash level is ok...and the best heat and less ash would be with the Geneva's hardwood pellets. As you mention you have to find the right pellet and adjust the stove...I think the stove will do better still if I find the right pellets. Some of the issues I have had would be the large ash deposits on the right side of the stove...I have since closed up my damper on the bottom of the stove..and that has cut down on the ash around in the chamber...I keep it a 1/4" open. The stove does not have the OAK (outside air kit) installed. Also I'm only getting around 10 to 12 hours of burn time on low and only about 8 hours on med...as I read the manual the micro processer will adjust the feed of the pellets with the heat in the stove..so that is why I tend to think I have not found the perfect pellet for the stove...???...Overall it's a nice stove..it does put out good heat out...BUT...you do have to maintain by keeping it clean. From what I have said..you maybe able to compare your stove...

I did not want to get too lenthy with my previous post, but to add to my history of parts updates Thelin did have me replace the auger with one with a smaller opening. That had little to no effect but pointed to the need to get the pellet feed rate dailed in. I am currently running Mallard Creek Pellets and I live in Northern California.

Also of note I have replaced the Temperature Sensor that is used to automatically adjust the feed rate. Due to their location and constant high temperature the ceramic becomes brittle and breaks easily (found this out replacing the auger motor as it sits near it). My experinece with my stove is that the Temperature Sensor is used to keep the stove from getting too hot and will reduce the feed rate if it senses an overly high temperature situation caused by too many pellets in the burner pot at start up or similar. I don't get a sense that it does more than that as my burn rate is pretty constant @ 10 - 12 hours on low.

Regards,

mmesa005

mmesa005 said:
I did not want to get too lenthy with my previous post, but to add to my history of parts updates Thelin did have me replace the auger with one with a smaller opening. That had little to no effect but pointed to the need to get the pellet feed rate dailed in. I am currently running Mallard Creek Pellets and I live in Northern California.

Also of note I have replaced the Temperature Sensor that is used to automatically adjust the feed rate. Due to their location and constant high temperature the ceramic becomes brittle and breaks easily (found this out replacing the auger motor as it sits near it). My experinece with my stove is that the Temperature Sensor is used to keep the stove from getting too hot and will reduce the feed rate if it senses an overly high temperature situation caused by too many pellets in the burner pot at start up or similar. I don't get a sense that it does more than that as my burn rate is pretty constant @ 10 - 12 hours on low.

Regards,

mmesa005

I'm wondering do you a trim dial..if so where is it..I keep my on the lowest setting...the dealer had it up about half way...???

I have the trim speed set half way between lowest speed and mid speed. Perhaps the Dealer had OAK (outside air kit) installed providing better airflow? This stove is very sensetive and getting to burn right is a balancing act between trim, air, pellets, cleaning, and fingers crossed!

Well said...one thing is that I'm getting better with it...it is burning good right now..I just cleaned it...glass is clear also...great heat on low!!

These are great looking stoves, in fact, I replaced the wood burning version with the pellet burning version because I liked the looks so much. I did not realize I was signing up for a home study course in Pellet stove useage and maintenance!

All good!

mmesa005

This may seem crazy but mine works better if it is NOT super clean.....

Status
Not open for further replies.