Thelin Parlour 3000...question about the Mobile home intake vent flap..????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigruckus

Jun 2, 2011
Northern Maine, Millinocket
On the bottom of my stove is the mobile / modular home intake air hook up...when I was cleaning the bottom of the fan intake I noticed that this hookup pipe flange has a flap ( like a choke flapper in a carb)...and it was only open half way...When I was installing the stove I read the manual but skipped over the mobile home hookup section...so I missed the info on this flap...I'm wondering...should this flap be opened all of the way...Is this the main iair ntake for the stove...?????....I was opening and closing it and I did notice that the flame would vary with the flap position....I left it open as much as I could...seems to burn better...has a nice yellow flame with a blue base. I'm wondering why Thelin didn't mention this outside of the mobile home section in the manual..??

That is your main air intake. You won't need to adjust it a lot, and when you do adjust it wait about 15 minutes to get a real feel for the results. You will mostly touch it when you change brands of pellets and as I say it shouldn't be any big change.

In the rest of the pellet world that adjustable thingy (highly technical term) is usually known as a damper. Pellet stoves have them on the air intake side because it is safe to choke that side in terms of blower motors surviving than doing so on the other side. Doing it this way also prevents backing the flue system up.

On one brand this is also called an air shutter. There are a number of stoves that do not have a damper.

Thanks for info...so in other words I should experiment with it...or just leave it open all the way..

bigruckus said:
Thanks for info...so in other words I should experiment with it...or just leave it open all the way..

Your manual should mention it if it is a damper, it should be in the operating your stove section likely labeled damper adjustments or the like.

You usually only play with a damper when you change the pellets you burn.

Continual playing with a damper for other reasons is usually indicative of a stove that is becoming progressively dirtier. The damper adjustments are done to match air flow to the pellet you are burning to obtain a complete burn. All adjustments are done in small steps with plenty of time for the stove to stabilize between adjustments. The installer should have set the damper for you, usually using a gage that measures the difference in air pressure through the stove. This is done using the high firing rate usually. An experienced burner can get it quite well by flame color, flame activity, and pellet activity.

The damper is loose and you can move it very easy..so I should adjust it and tighten it up???...I think I will call the stove shop and check it out...Thr stove burns well...I do have to clean the glass daily..it will build up with ash within 20-30 minutes...it leaves a light grayish ash...it's not a dark sooty ash..The stove has been running steady since yesterday..I burnt a bag of pellets...so I'm getting around 20 hours on a load...that a full bag..and the stove is on low..

I've been burning my Thelin for a few years. I also have OAK hooked up. I called Thelin(back when you were able to talk to Jay Thelin in person) he said "reach finger inside damper, and adjust only until flap hits your index finger, around 3/4 closed. I've had to adjust only slightly depending on brand. For me, oak pellets like lots of air, softwood or blends less. Adjust & wait, you want pellets to dance w/out blowing out of burn pot. If ya get to that point, you're good to go! Enjoy the Thelin.

stillersnut said:
I've been burning my Thelin for a few years. I also have OAK hooked up. I called Thelin(back when you were able to talk to Jay Thelin in person) he said "reach finger inside damper, and adjust only until flap hits your index finger, around 3/4 closed. I've had to adjust only slightly depending on brand. For me, oak pellets like lots of air, softwood or blends less. Adjust & wait, you want pellets to dance w/out blowing out of burn pot. If ya get to that point, you're good to go! Enjoy the Thelin.

Thanks.....!!...this is what I wanted to find out...I have it wide open now..I will clean the stove today and re-adjust the damper..

Status
Not open for further replies.