theoretical question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the umbrella was to keep the ceiling from getting wet now i vent outside

so a boiler, then?

that would explain the height.
cool project. would love to see more of it.
what is the space it's heating?

Some day we'll have fusion stoves and the ash left will weigh less than the pellet.

surely you mean 42.

Please don't call me Shirley.

thanks so much that is what i thought, so my pellet stove i made is getting close to 90 plus efficiency

I don't think you can use the weight of the burnt pellets as efficiency. Efficiency would be something like BTU available in the pellets (approximatly 8700 BTU's per pound) / BTU's lost up the vent. Which assumes the remaining BTUs go into heating the house.

Peace

Brad

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Efficiency would be something like BTU available in the pellets (approximatly 8700 BTU's per pound) / BTU's lost up the vent. Which assumes the remaining BTUs go into heating the house.

%Efficiency = (BTUout / BTUin) x 100

or

%Efficiency = ((BTUin - BTUlost) / BTUin) x 100

I think that 8700 BTU / pound may be a little too high. Actual energy yeild is reduced by moisture content of the pellets. That is the energy used to drive the absorbed water back into a vapor state.
By the way, the relative humidity where the pellets are stored will affect the BTU's available because wood will reach an equilibrium moisture content with the air based on the relative humidity of the air. This is why wood changes dimensions winter to summer.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
So thus far we've learned that A) Harman stoves convert 100% of the potential wood pellet energy into 101% heat energy (even NEWP).... and B) NEWP are still wicked ashy? Correct?

Reactions: DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.