Therapy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
3-19-13 LOAD.jpg The fun has begun.
Damn phone, thought I posted a photo, guess it didn't go through.
Started cutting the load I got last week.
Last time, my guy brought me a shatload of cherry.
I simply do not like cherry for my needs. Medium heat, tons of ash, crap for burn time.
I requested a load of mostly Oak, and my guy said "your paying for what you want, Oak you shall get". I had to wait a few weeks, but he came through. A couple poles of maple in there and think I saw a pole of Black Birch, but Mostly red & white Oak.
I am a happy camper.
I got me a good supplier and treat him well as he does me.

I had him put it out behind the barn this year. Miss it being off the side of the driveway for leisurely walk out the door and going at it. But the mess is built up, which I need to dig back into this summer and clean up. 7 years work accumulates a thick layer of crud.
The stack is kinda high this time around, have to keep an eye and ear out for rollers, and also not box myself in. Had to dodge a few rolls today. I enjoy this stuff though. Like a chess match as to which pole to cut next and where.

This is my therapy.

Back at it tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the story Hogz?! Cheers!

Oh good. I had no idea on how to take the original message. Nice Therapist.

I'm just curious, Hogz; what's the reason that you need a wood guy to deliver wood to you, sheer volume and/or convenience? Seems like you have a lot of wood right there in your backyard, and you definitely are a worker, I would think you would be able to harvest your own or at least some of it Again, just curious...I'm betting it's that you need a lot of it and it is easier for you to buy in bulk?

I'm just curious, Hogz; what's the reason that you need a wood guy to deliver wood to you, sheer volume and/or convenience? Seems like you have a lot of wood right there in your backyard, and you definitely are a worker, I would think you would be able to harvest your own or at least some of it Again, just curious...I'm betting it's that you need a lot of it and it is easier for you to buy in bulk?
I have a fair amount of wood on just under 9 acres. Problem is, I don't have the equipment to get to the wood, and make it worth the effort to harvest.
Much of the property was forested out by the prior owner, and I would like it to replenish itself without me hacking away at it.
I have about a 3 acre field I want to plant or transplant trees into.

But mainly, you hit it on the head, shear convenience and volume.
I am about 3 or 4 years ahead, but will continue to bring a truck load in yearly and process each winter.
I did drive my old truck back in the property when I first moved in, but much has overgrown now. I tried to take my new truck back, but I would just end up scratching the shat out of it.
The land is very uneven and hilly with lots of rock. And the majority of the wood aching to be processes is down a 30' steep embankment.
There is an old logging road back there but that is also overgrown, and many rotted down trees laying on it. I don't see the Ranger making it down there without fkn something up on the truck or getting seriously stuck down there.
So I will stick with ease and bulk for some years till I can get myself some equipment. The barn is about 40' x 40' and fairly empty with the exception of storing some crap, and already has 8 cords stacked in it.
My plan s to fill it as full as I can with splits, giving myself room to maneuver the truck in for loading and unloading. Plus I can accommodate about another 9 cords along the side of the garage on a rack of pallets I have there.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I have more trees than I will ever be able to burn. But dropping them, bucking them and humping them uphill out of the woods has gotten real old. Just like I have. If I had the turn around space I would have log loads dropped and just buck'em up too. They almost beg ya to take'em from development around here. :confused:

A good driver don't need to turn around. My guys pull in and back out.

Many times I'll see GREAT wood scores somewhere, but with experience comes the next question "can I get it out of there?", so I understand that you guys see wood in your land but might need either a pack mule or a helicopter to get it out where you want it!

Looks like a good load of straight logs. Do you get about 8 cords per load?

Woods, I see more poles laying around than I can count. They cleared under the power lines a few years back, and there is much foresting going on around here. But all I can do is see all that wood laying and rotting. Makes me shake my head seeing such waste.

Tsquini, got about 7 cords last time from him.There is a crooked pole or two in there, which I hate, as they create air space in the load that could be filled with wood.
I used another guy for a little more money last year, that was near 8 or 9 cords. Having two sources is nice.

Reactions: raybonz
View attachment 119181
The stack is kinda high this time around, have to keep an eye and ear out for rollers, and also not box myself in. Had to dodge a few rolls today. I enjoy this stuff though. Like a chess match as to which pole to cut next and where.

I'm very afraid of getting rolled over or crushed so I get my logs laid out flat, the most piling is a log between two others so all I need to do is pull out the front log and it drops. But it is large diameter tree service wood, a full load is usually 30 pieces and yields 6 cords. I got a 'short load' this fall that was 15 pieces and stacked out at over three cords. I just don't what to mess with logs like that when they are not flat on the ground.

Hogz, How much do you typically burn in a normal season? including shoulder stuff

I go through 3-1/2 to 4 cord a season, this includes shoulder season. Burning up most of the uglies and irregs during the shoulder season.

Cherry smells great..sucks as fire wood. Attracts bugs under its bark and is a shame to use as fire wood.

I use cherry in my smoker. Remove the bark and keep in rounds until I use it. The higher moisture content 35% keeps it from flaming up and good amount of smoke. If I'm doing a cold smoke then the moisture content is around 15% so it will stay lite with little flame.

I like burning cherry. Pound for pound any wood has just as many btu's? We have cherry on our place as well as locust oak pine walnut hickory and more. I cut anything dead and none of it sucks but it does produce heat.

Reactions: dmmoss51
I like how cherry splits and smells but thats about it, might as well consider it pine. Short on burn times and short on heat. Firepit wood at best

I would be happy to trade anyone cherry for oak.

I would be happy to trade anyone cherry for oak.
No you wouldn't you're a cherry lover. Just admit it and you will feel better.

Reactions: Sinngetreu
So I will stick with ease and bulk for some years till I can get myself some equipment.

+1 on the need for some big toys.

I wouldn't trade oak for cherry but I am not turning down free cherry either... Got about a cord for next year's burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.