There, I fixed it.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
I'm pretty sure there have been photos posted on Hearth.com before that came from the thereifixedit website featuring some pretty whacky things. Knowing this bunch of folks here, I can't help but imagine we've all done some pretty good (sometimes clever) fixes.

I just did this one last night because I don't have time to mess with it and it was driving me nuts.

Dual exhaust, both tailpipes currently being held up by coathangars, and finally rusted through at the weld near the muffler. One is kinda hanging in there, the other completely broke free yesterday.

Go to kitchen, get some foil. fold it several times, wrap it a couple of times. How long do you think this will last? forever, right? that's what I'm aiming at, LOL!

69ebf140.jpg

Less than 15 min's.... :lol:

Danno77 said:
I'm pretty sure there have been photos posted on Hearth.com before that came from the thereifixedit website featuring some pretty whacky things. Knowing this bunch of folks here, I can't help but imagine we've all done some pretty good (sometimes clever) fixes.

I just did this one last night because I don't have time to mess with it and it was driving me nuts.

Dual exhaust, both tailpipes currently being held up by coathangars, and finally rusted through at the weld near the muffler. One is kinda hanging in there, the other completely broke free yesterday.

Go to kitchen, get some foil. fold it several times, wrap it a couple of times. How long do you think this will last? forever, right? that's what I'm aiming at, LOL!

69ebf140.jpg

The proper way to use the foil.

zap

Attachments

• foil.jpg
    foil.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 375
Danno77 said:

69ebf140.jpg

If forever = 2 -3 weeks, I say YES!
The best kitchen item to use is a tomato product (paste, sauce puree, whatever) can,
because of the acids in those products, they are packaged in a little heavier grade of
metal. I just repaired the same thing on my Dakota & found an adapter that fit INTO the
muffler & OVER the tailpipe & used a muffler clamp on the outside of the adapter.
Hoping that the rear system hanger will keep the tailpipe from moving the 2.5 - 3 " to
allow the adapter to come out of the muffler...
Not as "bubblegum & bailing wire creative" as yours, but I bet mine holds longer than a couple of weeks.
Yours DOES look good, tho...Nice & shiny...

I wanted to use a can, but couldn't find anything. Mrs. Danno said "NO WASTING" or I would have tossed the chicken noodle soup. Guess I could have put it in tupperware in the fridge.

Maybe in three or four days when the foil tears up and I am STILL too busy to get it fixed right, I'll use a can...

it's wayyy more fun to spend $1 to fix it wrong 100 times than it is to spend $100 and fix it right 1 time. just sayin'...

Danno77 said:
it's wayyy more fun to spend $1 to fix it wrong 100 times than it is to spend $100 and fix it right 1 time. just sayin'...

With my truck it would be a boxer beer can! :lol: Oh wait its straight exhaust right off the manifold!

I should use beer cans, then when it needs replacing I don't feel bad about having to "empty" a can ;-)

Danno77 said:
I should use beer cans, then when it needs replacing I don't feel bad about having to "empty" a can ;-)

Some folks even keep plenty of "spares" in the bed!

Ive used coat hangers to wire on catalytic converter heat shields when the mounting tabs rusted off a few times....

Knob to the heater broke the other day, had to use one knob to swap between the temp dial and the vent/AC/defrost dial. Thank goodness for zip ties...

cff6bb0f.jpg

I remember in my youth repairing exhaust with empty beer cans or whatever cans were handy. I did find that beer cans do not last as long as the ones that come with something like tomato juice. Well, sometimes a fellow just makes do with what he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.