There is a rat in the ranks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hills Hoard

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
So I find out this morning that a "substantial" amount of wood is available to be picked up from my father in-laws work place. Just around the corner from my house). A large Eucalyptus has fallen and they have been looking to give it away before paying someone to remove. My wife chose to not to disclose this information after she decided I had enough wood already.....:mad: Absolute betrayal...a mutiny!

Needless to say I will be following up on this potential scrounge immediately.. ;)

She will soon realize that this is no way to address your hoarding disorder. Another scrounge will always materialize, so that approach is like trying to empty the ocean with a pail.

BTW, you might get more sympathy in the Wood Shed, where there are a lot of like-minded individuals. ==c

GFD.......(grounds for divorce)

Reactions: Hills Hoard
How much eucalyptus do you usually burn? Is the trunk ok for splitting? I have a big tree and have had some big horizontal limbs cut off. The limb wood is the most awful stuff I've ever tried to split. It mushes rather cleaves.

BG, you may be talking about a completely different wood...there are more than 700 species of Eucalyptus.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
Very possibly, I didn't know there were that many. Ours has all the characteristics I think of to make a koala happy. The honeybees really love it. It would be cool to id it. Sure is a big healthy tree. It likes it here.

PS: I think I saw a Made in Australia tag on the base a long time back. ;)

They're pretty much all native to Australia. They're all over California, I grew up with Eucalyptus all around me. They were all brought here.

So I find out this morning that a "substantial" amount of wood is available to be picked up from my father in-laws work place. Just around the corner from my house). A large Eucalyptus has fallen and they have been looking to give it away before paying someone to remove. My wife chose to not to disclose this information after she decided I had enough wood already.....:mad: Absolute betrayal...a mutiny!

Needless to say I will be following up on this potential scrounge immediately.. ;)

Bring her out behind the barn. Me & the Girl Friends will be waiting :p

How much eucalyptus do you usually burn? Is the trunk ok for splitting? I have a big tree and have had some big horizontal limbs cut off. The limb wood is the most awful stuff I've ever tried to split. It mushes rather cleaves.

This particular tree was of the stringy bark variety (of which there are quite a few as well) which is pretty popular for burning in my area. Its not the best wood to burn, but its not bad either, and its easy to split. There is lots of it on the ground after strong winds too....Last season i had a lot of it and probably made up 70 % of what i burnt. This season ive got primo stuff so the stringy bark has taken a back seat...hahah

Status
Not open for further replies.