1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

There is no smoke coming out of my chimney!!!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by soxfan13, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soxfan13

soxfan13 New Member

Loc:
    eastern MA
    My wife came home the other day with a scared look on her face worried because there was no smoke coming out of the chimney.

"What is going on?!....All the neighbors have smoke coming out of their chimneys!! Is our chimney plugged?! Has the CO detector gone off?! Should we leave the house?! Call the fire dept?! Why are you so calm?!!!!!"

Jotul Rockland............................$2100
    Installation.................................$800
    Membership on Hearth.com..........FREE
    Seeing your wife totally freaked out and able to laugh about it.................PRICELESS!!

Thanks for all the help you guys and gals have given me!! :)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. d.n.f.

d.n.f. New Member

Loc:
    Nelson BC
    Throw on some wet wood to solve this problem.
  3. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    [quote author="soxfan13" date="1224870443"]My wife came home the other day with a scared look on her face worried because there was no smoke coming out of the chimney.

4. jjhof0306

jjhof0306 New Member

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    Good for you!

I have a neighbor who is particularly full of himself - he's always wanting to share his latest greatest project, while never showing the least bit of interest in what I'm up to. He's a nice guy, but that only goes so far. Anyway, I notice every morning that a steady stream of smoke is coming from his chimney (he has a Lopi Liberty). I then look to my chimney and see only heat wiggles coming from mine. I would never point out to him that he's either not burning properly or his wood is not seasoned properly, but I won't say that I'm not tempted. :coolhmm:
  5. jbrown56

jbrown56 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    bedford nh
    M father in-law who has a "smoke dragon" lives next door to me will come over and say " I never see smoke coming from your chimney". Of course, I explain to him more heat, less wood and cleaner burning. He says, "I'd like to get a stove like that". I know he never will because he is way to cheap. At least the prevailing wind carries his smoke in the other direction.

Jim
  6. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    I know a guy that uses green wood to cool the fire down and get longer burns. His chimney smokes for 6 months straight and yes he had a chimney fire last winter. He's also a bone head and you cannot tell him anything, he blamed the stove.
  7. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Delaware, Ohio
    Hook him up with an Englander 13 or 30! It won't break the bank, and will probably pay for itself in a couple of seasons with of wood/work saved!

Today was the first day this season that I've fired up the stove in the morning before work. As we drive away this morning, I pointed out the chimney. "Look at that chimney. No smoke. I love that stove."

Gotta love it!

-SF
  8. FireWalker

FireWalker New Member

Loc:
    Lake George
    My dad is the same way, he loves my new stove and could easily afford a pair of them. He will keep shoving green wood in that 25 year old beast from china until the bottom falls out at which point he will fix it. He can fix anything.
  9. rudysmallfry

rudysmallfry Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Milford, CT
    I had a neighbor recently walk by my house comment on how filthy the smoke was that was coming out of my neighbor's chimney. She has asthma, (as do I) and says it affects her lungs. She asked that when I start burning my stove, she requested that I try to not dirty up the air. I took extreme delight in pointing to my chimney and telling her that my stove was currently burning full throttle! This forum is fantastic for getting newbies up to speed on proper and safe fire burning. These pyros rock!
  10. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    Oh yes indeed, I had to chime in here, haha.

I never would have imagined burning wood without smoke, but hey, what do I know???

NO SMOKING!
  11. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    I have a neighbor that has a fireplace and burns it in summer and I have the windows open. He must be running the air-conditioner at the same time. I hate that.
  12. Girl

Girl New Member

Loc:
    Mass
    I was asked if I even used the wood stove. (no I buy cords of wood because I like to, lol)
    I said thank you, I do all winter into early spring.
    They though I was not using it because they never saw smoke from the chimney.
    :)
  13. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Ummm, is she a blonde by chance?
    UGG UGG UGG
    :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.