There is Something In My Ash !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seeyal8r

Feeling the Heat
Jan 20, 2011
Central Oklahoma
I will post pics later but I cut down an old oak tree near an old house foundation from around 1900. The house is long gone. I didn't notice anything unusual when I cut it down but I just found some nails and what looks to be a small sprocket in my fireplace during ash cleanout. I'm guessing it was somewhere grown up in the tree. I think I'm just getting to the wood associated with that tree so there may be more surprises to come.

Anybody else find something weird or unusual in their Ash?

It is quite common to find all sorts of hardware in trees. This is why commercial operations are not interested in trees from fence rows or yards. I think there have been a couple threads a while back on this topic and it can be interesting what people find.

I marked two trees last week before a crew got started cutting a bunch of our pines. Trouble is, I had one time screwed in some tree steps....and then forgot to remove them. That would be nasty hitting one of those. I have one other tree that has them but it is a maple. Still, only about a third of the step showing as the maple has grown right around it. That tree one day will go for fire wood.

We have army firing ranges near here, used for D Day practice.

The woody area of it is full of old oaks and ash trees that would burn so well.

But nobody is interested in putting a chainsaw across a tree which possibly has lead and shrapnel embedded in it.

Quite a bit of unexploded ordnance around too, so it would make for a dangerous scrounge anyway.

Good place for wildlife though..... ;-)

I found this in my Ash a couple years ago.
0201101455.jpg

I still have it. It is just too cool to burn. It was deep in a 20" or so log. We got lucky with this one. Missed it on the crosscut, and milled the log this was cut from. I also saw it before I hit it real hard with the Fiskars.

A nail every now & then. Some were mine I think.
Hasn't been occupied by modern humans as long as the lower 48.
Some nails or wire when you get along roads & trails.
I do see fire damage on some bigger trees now & then.

Flatbedford said:
I found this in my Ash a couple years ago.

I still have it. It is just too cool to burn. It was deep in a 20" or so log. We got lucky with this one. Missed it on the crosscut, and milled the log this was cut from. I also saw it before I hit it real hard with the Fiskars.

That is a nasty one Steve.

Funny thing, I was cutting up some oak a couple of weeks ago and all of the sudden the 460 was throwing chips that were grey in color. I stopped and upon further review, splitting , I found a eye bolt that was way inside this good size oak. I missed it but the grey color wood was "stained " probably a good 2 feet. Lesson learned, green oak shouldn't have grey chips!

Well wishlist, that is still better than finding red in the sawdust....

Ya Dennis, that would be bad! Or in your case the milk crate would be in half. Haha....

Found this in the stove last winter. Glad I missed it until then.

Attachments

• 123010 bracket in ash.jpg
    123010 bracket in ash.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 299
found a musket ball in an old oak while splitting

The tree came from a golf course (dropped off in my front yard for free!!!) and I had to cut then noddle/split pieces off to buck it even with a 20" bar.

Don't think it was from the revolution but was easily 100+ years old...

Status
Not open for further replies.