Therm Guard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletierry

Jun 1, 2008
Central Maine
I have installed the thermguard, now I am wondering what I should set the frequency and length that I have it run for. I currently have it set at 3 hrs for ten minutes. I am in Central Maine area, any suggestions? Anybody with Therm guard notice quite an increase in their electric bill? Went from $80 up to about $120. Does this seem right?

Hi Pelletierry,

Do you have hot-water heat or a forced air system?

Just doing some math, if the ThermGuard is running your system 10 minutes every 3 hours, that works out to a duty cycle of 5.5%. In theory, you might see a proportional increase in your electric bill all things being equal. Of course, it could be slightly more or less depending on how much you are currently using your system.

You electric bill changed by 50%. Something not quite right there!

The best way to determine how long to run your ThermGuard is to have the system off long enough for the pipes go to cold (assuming hot water heat). Then turn on the heating system. Next, determine how long it takes the farthest point in the heating loop to get good and warm. I would bet it is less than 10 minutes.

The next concern is how often to run the system and that really depends on how exposed your pipes are. Mine run over an unheated garage, albiet with a layer of insulation. If your pipes are fairly well insulated, you can have a longer duration. If your pipes run close to an outside wall or unheated area, you need to have a smaller interval. This part of the setup really depends on your system.

I have mine set up for 5 minutes every 3 hours. That works out to 2.7% of utilization if your system is turned off.

It will be interesting to see other thoughts on the matter.

Cheers,
John

I have mine set to every 3 hours for 2 minutes; I also turn it off on days like yesterday and even today where I’m not afraid of the pipes freezing.

Mine is used to keep a baseboard hot water feed pipe that runs through an un-heated attic from freezing.

I have it set for every 2 1/2 hours, for 3 minutes. I had it working during the last cold spell we had ( got down to 13 outside), and no problems.

Question, what lights flash during normal operation?? Green light flashes once every 5 secs. thought it was supposed to alternate between red & green every minute.

Thanks
Marty

wifes a watchin said:
Question, what lights flash during normal operation?? Green light flashes once every 5 secs. thought it was supposed to alternate between red & green every minute.

Thanks
Marty

No, yours is operating correctly....green light flashes once every 5 sec. The only time you see the red light flash is during programming, and when you first turn it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.