Thermal curtains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary, I saw you setup before posting. I recognized what you stated that it worked well for the stationary side but would be problematic on the moving side. We probably open our door 20 times a day to let dogs (one very old) in and out.
I was thinking of taking your idea and perhaps connecting the panels together like a bi-fold door with it either mounted to the side or at the middle of the slider. Trouble is I'm looking at panels about 2 ft. wide if I do four sections and that would take up some much needed room during storage.
Thanks for your reply.

I guess you could use the bubblewrap technique on the sliding window.
If the slider is opened a lot, it would probably take more than just the usual water spray to hold the bubble wrap in place -- maybe some small patches of double stick tape?
This would give you about R1 additional on the slider, but the nice thing is that you don't lose the light.
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/bubblewrap.htm

Or, just as a thought, how about a piece of the thin twinwall polycarbonate cut to fit right against the slider glass -- maybe space it off the glass by an eighth inch to give a small air gap -- I'd guess the benefit would be greater than R1, but less than R2?
If there is room to space it off the glass by a quarter inch, you would probably get pretty close to R2 additional.
I think that Menards sell the twinwall at a reasonable price.

Gary

Reactions: semipro
Here's another thought... can you install a dog door in another place in the house? If you could install a dog door and put a "window quilt" over that, you could insulate that sliding door to your hearts' content.

I guess you could use the bubblewrap technique on the sliding window.

Anyone find the medium or large bubble wrap locally? I think Office Depot may have it, but haven't confirmed. I'm looking for a small quantity (to cover a half dozen windows).

<edit> Just bought a roll online from Office Depot. Added a 6 pack of packing tape and got free 2 day delivery. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.