Thermal shock on cast stove-top?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirrel

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2014
Ontario
My stove has a one piece cast top. If I put a kettle or pot filled with cold water on it when the stove is hot how much of a risk is there of cracking the top? Anyone ever cracked one this way?

I've heard of cracking from spilling a pot of cold water on a hot stove, but not from setting a pot on it.

I have a 3 gallon pot on mine all heating season. While it has discolored the paint I have never had any cracks.

You should be fine. Most of the older stoves, both regular and cook style were cast iron, that was the standard. It was easy to work with and was inexpensive. A pot does not transfer heat as quickly as direct contact with water. Do not pour water directly on the stove, as this may crack it. Newer stoves made from plate steel are much better in this respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.