Thermal Storage Tank Fitting Seal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

damon_sisk

Sep 27, 2009
Southern Indiana
I have 2x 500 gallon propane tanks, filled with water. There are multiple pipe threaded fittings, but none of them leak. I would like to permanently (and very reliably) seal the fittings that are made for the float/gauge mechanism. I thought of tapping the hole, but it would be at least 1.25 pipe thread. I had a flat piece of steel bolted down (there are 4 tapped holes around the fitting) and sealed with caulk, but it was unreliable.

Any suggestions?

I welded a patch over mine. You may want to drain the water down some so you don't get a cold weld.

If you can weld that's a permanent fix. It could be fixed by drilling and tapping more holes so it is fastened every inch or so. Get a piece of gasket material from an auto parts supply and cut out a fresh gasket.

welded mine as well

Status
Not open for further replies.