ThermGuard Troubles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain

Jul 13, 2008
Central Ohio
I did everything the manual says, and went through the different adjustments it tells you to make for your system. Problem is, when it kicks on my blower, it only runs for about 10 seconds, and shuts off. I have it set up to come on every 15 minutes and run for 5 minutes. It comes on like it should every 15 mins, but just won't stay running.

Anyone else had anything like this happen with them, or have any suggestions? BTW it is hooked into a Hunter programmable thermostat. Thanks!

Manuals and their instructions are guidelines and can not always be followed 100%. You have to use your own good judgment most of the time. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Is this with the default programming or has it been set differently from factory specs? Try the steps below, if no success, contact Thermguard and tell them the unit is short cycling.

STEP 6 ThermGuard adjustment to your system

This step is called “ThermGuard adjustment” and once ThermGuard is adjusted, it will not need to be adjusted again. ThermGuard will retain the setting even if power is removed from the unit. This step is only required if ThermGuard is not operating properly with the factory settings and is usually only required when ThermGuard is connected to some high-impedance input electrical modules.

* There are four configurable power settings for ThermGuard. These steps will try each setting as required until proper operation is verified.

* Turn ThermGuard ON/OFF switch OFF then ON.

* Press and hold the programming button for about 6 seconds or until the RED (not green) LED lights up.

* Release the button and tap it two times. This configures ThermGuard to the second power setting.

* Release the button and wait for ThermGuard to repeat the last program by flashing the LEDs.

* Repeat step 5 to verify operation.

* If the operation is successful, you are done.

* If the operation fails turn the ThermGuard ON/OFF switch OFF then ON.

* Press and hold the programming button for about 6 seconds or until the RED (not green) LED lights up.

* Release the button and tap it three times. This configures ThermGuard to the third power setting.

* Release the button and wait for ThermGuard to repeat the last program by flashing the LEDs.

* If the operation fails turn the ThermGuard ON/OFF switch OFF then ON.

* Release the button and tap it four times. This configures ThermGuard to the fourth power setting.

If there is still a problem, please call the Bear Mountain Design customer support (406) 587-2478.

Thanks bud, yeah I've been through all of those settings, and all except the tap twice setting makes the blower relay buzz. Even though it sounds right on 2nd setting, still having my troubles with the cycle time.

Been trying to call them as well, and haven't been able to get in touch with them. Maybe off for the holidays? So I figured I'd give the folks on here a try too.

Did you bump the t-stat up above the calling temp, for that zone after setup?

KC

iskiatomic said:
Did you bump the t-stat up above the calling temp, for that zone after setup?

KC

I didn't do anything with the t-stat after I installed it. So you're saying bump it up to the point that the furnace kicks on?

Yes.

KC

Thanks for the tip, but I just tried that and it still did same thing. I left the thermguard turned on, and let the furnace complete a cycle.

Something else I'd like to add: when I do the step where you verify operation, it does like it's supposed to and runs the blower for one minute, green lights go for one minute, then blower, then green again, then on the third time the blower kicks on, it goes off for 10 seconds or so like it does during normal operation. So something is just a little off it seems.

Captain said:
I did everything the manual says, and went through the different adjustments it tells you to make for your system. Problem is, when it kicks on my blower, it only runs for about 10 seconds, and shuts off. I have it set up to come on every 15 minutes and run for 5 minutes. It comes on like it should every 15 mins, but just won't stay running.

Anyone else had anything like this happen with them, or have any suggestions? BTW it is hooked into a Hunter programmable thermostat. Thanks!

Hi Captain,

It sounds like your ThermGuard should be on power setting #2 to run a relay. If setting #2 isn't working right for you....only turning on the blower for 10 seconds and then shutting off, it sounds like your ThermGuard needs a modification to work with your specific system. The solution I have found for this instance is to add a small battery pack to your unit. It provides ThermGuard with a little more power to keep the relay engaged. I upgrade any ThermGuard whenever this happens for free and I even include the batteries required. You can call me at (406) 587-2478 to discuss any other options, otherwise send your unit back to:

Bear Mountain Design
28 F Shawnee Way
Bozeman, MT 59715

Please be sure to include a note as to this discussion and make sure you have something to let me know how to get the unit back to you. There is no charge for this modification.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
John

Reactions: raybonz
One other thing....I am not consistently on the Hearth.com website. A sure way to get any questions answered is to email me:

[email protected]

Cheers,
John

Hey thanks John that sounds great! I'll try and get it shipped out today. So will this battery be inside the unit where it won't be seen?

Captain said:
Hey thanks John that sounds great! I'll try and get it shipped out today. So will this battery be inside the unit where it won't be seen?

Hi Captain,

The battery pack rides just under the ThermGuard unit itself. It is the size of the ThermGuard and holds 3 AAA batteries.

Cheers,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.