ThermGuard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brucej

Mar 4, 2009
Southern NH
We had a night where it got down to -10 degrees a month or so ago. I had my pellet stove blazin and the house was toasty. The forced hot water zone to my upstairs never kicked in because the house was so warm. Well, I did not realize that the pipe was very close to the sill in my basement. It did freeze up, but did not burst thankfully. I looked into what I could do to prevent this and found thermguard. It is a unit that hangs off your thermostat that turns the zone on as often and as long as you program it to do so. It prevents your pipes from freezing. Its not expensive either. I hope anyone in a similiar position to mine gets one of these units. If my pipes had burst I would have been looking at hundreds of dollars in damge, maybe thousands. Check it out - you will be glad you did.

Bruce
Southern NH

:cheese:

Yup - got one in December. Took about 10 min total to put on and it works great. I've got mine set to run the heat 1 minute every 3 hours.

This is a nice little gizmo (and reasonably priced as well)... Well worth the price if you're a wood burner and have concerns about freezing pipes. I really like the fact that it can be programmed to met your specific needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.