Thermix to wet or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbshtr

Jan 16, 2009
South Jersey
I'm in the process of relining my chimney with solid stainless steel sections and will be insulating with Thermix. The directions say to wet it but then I understand that it hardens. I'm reluctant to do that in case I ever have to pull the liner. There isn't enough room for wrapping the liner. Is Thermix just as effective poured dry or does it need to be poured wet in order to work properly and comply with code? The chimney is an outside masonary with a tile liner.

Have you thought about filling it with Vermiculite? It might be cheaper and is also fire proof. I used the coarse size and it works great and also is very light.
Don

The bags I have are a private label and are a combo of vermiculite and some concrete (can't remember exact name). The also meet code if a one inch thick amount is used.

Sorry, I should of done more research on Thermix. I see it is Vermiculite with the concrete. I would think I would go with poring it dry. Can't see any reason you would want it a solid mass.
Don

"TherMix is a lightweight masonry insulation product. A semi-permanent material, it will stay in place when installed yet can be removed."

One thing to consider is that it contains ingredients to trap air in the mix when you combine it with water. If you use it dry, you might end up needing additional product to fill the flue.

Finally, since TherMix is a listed product it should be used in accordance with the manufacturers specifications.

TherMix Reference Material

Reactions: mdeconinck
Status
Not open for further replies.