Thermix vs Flexible Liner for Chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plenzlerjm

Dec 17, 2011
Maryland
Does anyone have an opinion on whether a flexible liner w/ blanket wrap or rigid stainless steel pipe with Thermix poured around it is a better way to insulate an older chimney?

I've read where thermix should not be used with rigid liners due to the way they expand. For flex liners it's fine, but it's based on what the manufacturer allows.

If you want to go the rigid route, do yourself a favor and get the double wall pre-insualted pipe. Have it hear and really is a nice set up. Easy to clean, and not so bad to install. And no having to add insulation.

Mine is just rigid 6" with a short flex on the bottom. The top 24" inside the chimney is packed with ceramic insulation. I guess it depends on where you are if you need more or less insulation.

May also depend on chimney flue size. Past a certain point Thermix gets more expensive but in tighter situations it's more cost effective. You can also do pre-insulated flex or Thermix with flex. Pretty much have to just price them all out and weigh the benefits of each.

Status
Not open for further replies.