Thermo-Control 2000 use update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
So we have been running the unit for almost 2 months now and wanted to give some feedback on it. Again we upgraded from a old New Yorker Logwood boiler, 70K btu unit.

Set up is based on what another owner did and provided for info to me. I am using a standard aqustat to control the circulator pump with it turning on at 165 deg (I have it starting low so it will start heating our DHW sooner) I also have a digital aqustat that controls the draft door and it closes at 180 (I think) but then opens at 179, thus keeping the water temp up. There is also a manual aqustat that turns on the over temp zone at I think 184 deg.

There are two switches inline with the digital aqustat controlling the draft door as well. These are both monitoring the stack temp, the first is a manual unit that is kicking off at around 650 deg (tough to dial in) and the digital PID is shutting it off at 575 deg. So there are 3 devices controlling power to the draft door and any one can active and kill the draft.

I initially had issues with it drawing a draft but that appeared to be as some indicated because it was too warm outside. It currently is lighting and coming up to temp great. I like the fact that once the boiler is up to temp it keeps up with the load and can run the circs a long time before stopping the pump.

I also want to make a note that we heat our house some what differently as I have the room thermostat set high (76) and I have been waiting till its about 65-66 deg before loading the boiler up again, and we heat our hot tub but it is set as a secondary zone so it does not get heat until the house zones are satisfied and not running. This allows for the boiler to have a call for heat for much longer and not idle as much.

Its hard to tell on the level of ash it is producing compared to my old logwood but it is much finer and no unburnt chunks of coal are left in it. It does burn much thoroughly.

As far as creosote, it appears to be creating a lot LESS in the chimney which is a big benefit to me. Just this is worth the upgrade. Also, the draft door control is better than on the old boiler and safer I feel. I was going to look into adding a separate draft control that was variable based on the flue temp as rwh442 did with his but I prefer to have it burn hot or turn right off and not run in the lower flue temps which with my old boiler I found generated creosote.

~ Phil

Can you tell a difference in wood consumption yet? Probably about the same?

FYI - I run my boiler up to 185 without issue.

Glad to hear you got it running!

Good to know on the max temp, I'll inch it up and see what happens. As for wood use, for off season heating of dhw and hot tub it uses a lot more wood I'm assuming because it's water jacket is more than twice as large as the old boiler, IE more to heat before heating.

But now when heating seams to be taking same amount, cannot tell. I am seeing it hold hot coals longer, IE I put wood in at 10pm, about a 1/2 load and was still hot coals at 7 to self start.

Also another item is it does run hotter and or cleaner as smoke out chimney is not as obvious or noticable.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.