Thermo-Control 2000??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdaino1

Jul 23, 2013
Charlton, NY
So I asked yesterday about the Econoburn but I have decided that it is just to expensive. I called a fairly local retailer who carries several makes and models. He asked me a few questions and turned me onto the Thermo-Control 2000 by National Stoveworks. Does anyone use one? He said that it is an indoor boiler (traditional style) that many people including himself, have in sheds or garages and heat their home. I had thought about putting it in an insulated shed but if the unit itself is not insulated I would be heating the shed which is ok but how much heat loss am I going to see? I want to still be able to efficiently heat my home.

Now on the other hand if I insulate the boiler with a kit or have it done from the factory, will it still give off enough heat into the shed to keep the unit from freezing up/ maybe melt some snow off my wood? Or maybe I insulate the shed and the boiler?? Bare with me I'm new to the whole wood boiler thing. I've heated with stoves my whole life!!

How much cheaper is it than the EB? I wouldn't insulate the boiler but the little shed you put it in. I would do the little shed 10x16 or 10x20 like someone mentioned yesterday. I put mine in my 30x60 pole barn but I think a dedicated wood/boiler/storage tank shed would be he way to go. No inspections, could build it yourself, and you could put your woodpile on the south side of it to maximize summer drying. It is true that I get some get some heat off the boiler and chimney pipe in my shed, but I am losing quite of bit of space. I would rather have my whole shed for my other stuff.

Check out my comments on the "Need a new boiler" thread on page 2.

I run mine uninsulated but I work in my garage often and the temperature rarely gets into the 50's in the garage.

If you would insulate it in a small shed the heat from the front door, bottom and stack would keep it still rather toasty in there. It's really meant to be placed in a house basement IMO.

I asked about the EB and came to the same conclusion. Plus I was familiar with Thermo Control. My family had one in the basement from 1978 until 1990 when I (the wood helper) went off to college. Dad still has it and refuses to sell it.

anyone have thermo-controls outdoor boiler??

Status
Not open for further replies.