Thermo-Control HWS as backup heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshTracks

Jun 1, 2014
Maine
Greetings. I have been researching heating systems for a home I am fixing up, and I came across this forum. It seemed like just the place to get some questions answered!

The house has a completely open floor plan on one level, with two bedrooms adjacent to the open area. The existing heat system is a failing oil furnace with baseboard hot water. Because of the open plan, I would like to replace the furnace with a mini-split heat pump. However, being in Maine there will be a handful of days each winter where the heat pump won't be able to find enough heat to do its thing. And it won't be of any use if the power goes out.

One thought is to install a Thermo-Control model 500 or similar hot water stove as a backup heating system. I would theoretically tie it into the existing baseboard system. A couple of questions: What other equipment would I need to make this happen? Also, I am wondering if I can also use this type of stove like a traditional wood stove (as supplemental heat), and if so, would it be practical/possible/sane to install it in the living room hearth instead of in the basement, and still tie it into the baseboard plumbing.

I don't know anything about how these types of stoves are supposed to work - how the water is circulated, etc. Any explanation would be great.

Thanks!

The 500 is a LARGE stove with SS pipes attached to the inner side walls. I think it is designed to be placed in a basement (whole house central unit) and would heat your DHW. Would probably help your boiler also but if you are going that route why not just get a boiler model.

The 500 in the center of your house would be, for one, ugly AND drive you out of the house. Plenty of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.