thermo dynamics, whats more beterer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STIHLY DAN

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2013
So NH
I have a helper coil in my furnace, that preheats an h2o storage tank for domestic hot h2o that feeds my water heater. Domestic Hot water runs from 5 am to 7 am non stop. then will sit idle till 7 pm for 1 shower and a load of dishes. I am using an 80 gal tank now, thinking of replacing with a 40 superstor. the 80 will give more preheated water with greater delta t to the coil. The 40 will feed hotter water but have less of a delta t. So is it better to preheat 80 or 40 in a 12 hr span? I could make an argument for both. What do you think?

I'll give ya a bump cuz I'm a lil curious too. BTW, the grammar po-po says it's betterer. ==c

Everybody knows that it is "bestest".

Reactions: flyingcow
Reactions: STIHLY DAN
Wrong person to ask. I have an electric water heater and love the thing. But for the life of me can't figure why you would want to heat 80 gallons that often.

Ok, did a little homework. A 30,000 btu gas heater will heat 45 gal an hr at a 60* temp rise. A 4,500 watt electric heats 30 gal an hr @ 60* rise. 750 watts heats 5 gal an hr, Another 10* higher reduces 1 gal an hr. At 4,500 reduces 6 gal an hr. I figure with the coil at the bottom rear of the unit, relying on slow thermosyphom, that its getting 5-7 gal an hr. So a 12 hr burn with no one using hot h2o I should get 80 gal up to 112* with the 45 gal I would get 140* So that is 35 gal less heated water for 28* hotter. That's around 4 hrs of water heating getting wasted. So she is right! bigger is bestest.

Status
Not open for further replies.