Thermo-siphoning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deron

Nov 3, 2009
Northern Kentucky
Burning downstairs fireplace in a double flue causes odor problems upstairs.

In a double setup like this, wouldn't thermosiphoning have to occur at the top exhaust of the clay liners? I covered up the upstairs liner
with rubber roofing and I still get the smell. Wouldn't this remove thermosiphoning as a suspect?

This is the first time I've been up on the roof...would the cracks in the crown cause the heavy smell of smoke with no smoke?

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 214
Looks like a possible starting point. In the test, how was the upper flue covered? Was the cap removed and the rubber cover weighted down with a brick or something? If yes, I agree that I would have expected that to seal of the source of the problem. You might want to ping Craig about this one. It's an area he worked on remedying with the Extendaflue product.

Cut a piece to fit over the opening, then wrapped duct tape around tightly and used wire
to seal the deal. It's a very thick rubber roofing product so there's no way any smoke could
have penetrated.

The cracks in the crown? Wondering if it's seeping over under the crown?

If not, then it's got to be seeping thru some deteriorating mortar joints in the stone.

That should have worked pretty well. If this is happening in the brick chimney cavity it could mean a cracked tile is leaking. Worth checking for this.

BeGreen said:
That should have worked pretty well. If this is happening in the brick chimney cavity it could mean a cracked tile is leaking. Worth checking for this.

I think you're right, that or a bad mortar joint/shoddy masonry work.

The deal is we smell it bit can't see the smoke upstairs. That being the case, would a SS liner eliminate the odor?

Got an estimate of $2300 to install a liner which I thought was a little high, but on the other hand I do have a 3 foot offset
so it won't be a picnic.

But dropping $2300 on a liner install and still having an odor problem would be devastating.

Status
Not open for further replies.