Thermocouple installation ideas.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeePee

Nov 15, 2008
Mississauga, Ontario
I'd like to install two thermocouples, one on the pipe exiting the rear of an insert and another at the top of the stack. For the unit on the insert, will placing the probe wire in contact with the pipe be sufficient ( perhaps winding it around ), or should the wire be fed through a joint and sealed? At the top of the stack, I see a couple of possible mounting arrangements but perhaps running the wire a few inches down the pipe would give the best results. I am curious if anyone else is using a similar configuration and can provide any advice. I suppose surface contact thermocouples would be another, but more costly, option.

Thanks.
DP

velvetfoot said:
I really don't know, but the car people usually like it in the flow of the gas.

Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking in the flow of gases best as well - not a big deal for the top of the stack, but on the inside could be a bit tricky. Perhaps I'd best check with my sweep to avoid any code violations or endangering anyone.

Best regards,
DP

The thermocouple I put on an exhaust pipe ('they' like it in the turbo inlet) had a ss hose clamp that wrapped around the pipe.
There is more pressure there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.