Thermometer on double wall stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pma1123

Burning Hunk
Dec 11, 2013
Watertown, WI
Confession: I'm using a magnetic stovepipe thermometer (the single wall type) on my double wall stovepipe. I realize the readings aren't reflecting what the internal pipe temperatures are, nor is the temp scale remotely accurate. But it does give a relative look at things....if the needle is in the green, I'm probably running too hot.

What are my options for stovepipe thermometers for a double wall pipe? I'm guessing I need to get a temp probe inside the pipe to achieve an accurate reading. If I have a probe in the pipe, this will limit my ability to shove a chimney brush up from the bottom for mid-season cleanings. Are they easily removed for this?

What are my options and how hard is installation for double wall pipe thermometers?
Thanks in advance!

Super easy to install - drill hole, insert probe with magnet. When it's time to sweep, pull it out and sweep :)

Edit: I'm using an SBI probe thermometer on my Excel Ultrablack pipe. Cost me all of $18.

Thanks Nick, case closed!

Condor flue guard for me! Super easy to install, 1st hole all the way through 2nd next bit up just through the outer skin.

Please look at the Auberins unit. Much more $$ but it gives you instant feedback with LED readout and loud, settable alarm. I prefer the probe that goes into the flue.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=292

I get nothing if you buy it except the satisfaction of knowing you'll be happy. My alarm is set at 900 and it woke me up a few nights ago. Stove peaked at 940* at 2 am for 15 sec., then went back to normal. I don't like being woken up but for the wood stove, I am glad to.

Status
Not open for further replies.