Thermometer on Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the top shelf is the only place, mine runds between 200-325 max

Does your insert have a 8" self our do you have a flush to the wall.I have and 8" shelf were the insert stickes out 8"I can put a steamer on top. Ive seen pictures of people putting them on the front buy the door our on top with the steamer

good question! Im having a insert put in next week.I just ordered a infrared thermometer to use on the stove to monitor the temp!hope it works out well.

On my old beast it`s mounted on front of door-- top rightside just above the glass. Because it is not on stove top where it is hotter I add a hundred degrees to my reading.eg: reads 300-I take it to mean 400. Think this was in an earlier post some months back and adding a hundred degrees seemed logical.

I have mine on the front by the door, our insert does protrude about 8" onto the hearth. We can get ours to 400* all day, I've often wondered if we were running it to hot. It is a Napoleon 1401.

On the top shelf above the firebox on my HI300 hampton. Above the door and back about 3 inchs.

woodsie8 said:
Can I use any kind of thermometer? What is the laser ones that people are talking about?

A few folks here use this one or one like it:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96451

Note that it measures up to 968 degrees F.

I also have a cheapo round stove thermometer on the top lip of the stove. It's in the hot air blast from the fan so it runs about 100 degrees cooler than the actual temp of the top of the firebox as measured by the infrared thermometer.

I like the laser but my kids will play with it and I'll never find it.
Im burning a napoleon 1402 and Im a first time burner ( love It) I Insalled it my self and I wish I installed 3 years ago when I bought the house. And Im no expert on this But doesnt heat rise and the top of the stove the hottest.

I'm not sure how useful a thermometer will be on that insert. A surface thermometer reading on the cast front piece will vary widely depending on whether the blowers are on or off. Since there is an air gap between the steel firebox and the cast iron (for convection) at best your reading might indicate what that differential is. The Hampton Hi300 is a fantastic unit. Burn seasoned wood. Pay attention to the appearance of the box when under fire, These stoves are not nearly as picky as some others,but no modern stove will work well fired by poor quality fuel. Observe the smoke quality. Burning properly this unit produces little smoke after a short warm-up.Enjoy your stove.

J.T.
!

Status
Not open for further replies.