Thermometer on insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dakotarnk

Aug 30, 2007
Does anyone have a good idea how to tell stack temp, on an insert, there is no way for me to see a
thermometer on the chimney.

It depends on what model insert you have. This is how I have mine set up. You want to have it mounted directly on the stove's surface, not on trim, and not on any area of metal that is not directly part of the firebox. If you can't get it to "good" spot, then pick your "best" spot, and use the thermometer as a relative thing, rather than absolute.

-- Mike

I can do that but I thought it had to be on the stack or is that not critical. Will the temp vary much from stack to top of stve.
Thanks your your input.

dakotarnk said:
I can do that but I thought it had to be on the stack or is that not critical. Will the temp vary much from stack to top of stve.
Thanks your your input.

Surface temp on the insert is all you are going to be able to measure and that will do the job for you fine. Even if you had access to the liner you couldn't put a surface thermo on it because the magnet won't stick to stainless steel. Even the non-contact laser thermometers don't give accurate readings on stainless because of the reflective surface. And to add to that, a stack thermo needs to be higher on the pipe than you would be able to place it and still see it.

Just keep the stove top temp within safe and efficient operating range and the stack will be fine.

Will the stack temp be higher or lower then the top of the stove , just curious. I may pull the suround off because it is very easy and just check the elbow on the back to see how it relates to the top. I dont know if it is critacal but it is a lopi answer and it is hooked to the back, not the top.
Thanks

dakotarnk said:
Will the stack temp be higher or lower then the top of the stove , just curious. I may pull the suround off because it is very easy and just check the elbow on the back to see how it relates to the top. I dont know if it is critacal but it is a lopi answer and it is hooked to the back, not the top.
Thanks
I just looked at your stove online and it looks like you have some room on the
top right side of fire box for rutland t-stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.