Thermometer pic: Condar & Tel Tru

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knots

Minister of Fire
Mar 13, 2013
Alfred, Maine
Background: I'm currently renting a house that I'm heating (attempting to) with an old Portland Stove Foundry, Atlantic 224 while I build a house later this year. So, I was at the the stove shop looking at new stoves and I bought a Condar on an impulse. Being a geek, it bothered me that I did not know how accurate it was, so I shelled out for a Tel Tru.

I now have $70.00 worth of instrumentation on a $100.00 stove. _g

Anyway, I want some gauges on the Jotul 'cuz it will be my first new stove and I want an idea what's going on with it.

So, here's a pic of the two side-by-side on the stove while some dead-fall pine brings it a little further up to temp than I want. Sorry for the fuzziness - it was the best I could do. The Condar is reading about 650 and the Tel Tru says 600.

DSC01763.JPG

IMO a magnetic coil spring thermometer is an estimate and I use it as such. Regardless if it is inaccurate by 20-50 degrees it remain consistantly that way and gives me a fair point of reference to what is going on inside. For the anal, tel tru is high end stuff. I have one that I used on the competition BBQ pit I built. Cost so much I kept it when I sold the pit for 1500.00 clams. It was just too darn big for a single dude. My plan is to build another that is a bit smaller for personal use and more practical for small backyard parties. The tel tru will be mounted on the front!!

Reactions: Jack Fate and ScotO
Yeah - it looks like the Condar is plenty accurate enough. It bothered me that I didn't know - now I do.

Shoot those two spots with an IR gun,, I know on my Fieview, a few inches left or right on the hot spot , the temperature can drop off a bit.. The gauges might not be as far off as you think...

IMO a magnetic coil spring thermometer is an estimate and I use it as such. Regardless if it is inaccurate by 20-50 degrees it remain consistantly that way and gives me a fair point of reference to what is going on inside. For the anal, tel tru is high end stuff. I have one that I used on the competition BBQ pit I built. Cost so much I kept it when I sold the pit for 1500.00 clams. It was just too darn big for a single dude. My plan is to build another that is a bit smaller for personal use and more practical for small backyard parties. The tel tru will be mounted on the front!!

I got a PLC and it also runs less than others (certified calabration)

But hey thanks I never thought to use it on my weber kettle!

Got 4 of them 2 got temps 2 don't

Thanks & Cheers

Shoot those two spots with an IR gun,, I know on my Fieview, a few inches left or right on the hot spot , the temperature can drop off a bit.. The gauges might not be as far off as you think...

Sorry - I don't have an IR and I'm not spending any more on this! I'll try putting them closer.

Better yet Knotts - swap spots on the stove. Then you will be certain if the location is the difference.

Reactions: n6crv
Better yet Knotts - swap spots on the stove. Then you will be certain if the location is the difference.

Yeah - that just occurred to me. I put them closer together earlier, but there's still about a 40 degree difference. Not bad for some ribbons of wire.

I did many times & found not a great diff max 50 degree or less

do like the lazy hand on it ( for max readings)

and I know you can fabracate a paper clip to do the same on those HF china meters or others

I will buy an american option if possiable

but I will admit sometimes we (usa) make some junk too ( damn bean counters )

cheers all
-
6.3+

Bottom line,,, I wouldn't worry about a 50 degree difference unless you are adamant about running your stove at it's max temp on a continuous basis...

Reactions: Jack Fate
Well, I swapped them this morning. Now the Condar is reading slightly low relative to the Tel Tru. I would guess the Condar is pretty accurate then (assuming the Tel Tru is...um...telling true).

DSC01770.JPG

Reactions: charly
My money is on the tel tru being very accurate. For my BBQ pit I take all my therms(tel tru and cheap probe types for the meat itself) and place them in boiling water for an accuracy test. Water boils at a known temp(212F - 99.98C) so it provides and easy method to check thermometer accuracy. Unfortunately I am not sure how to do that with a magnetic?? Maybe hold it in the water with a wire, paper clip or coat hanger if finding out the exactness of the therms accuracy is important to you. For me, accuracy is only important when I am trying to cook perfect brisket or pork shoulders :)

I'm guessing that it's pretty accurate being fresh from the factory. Good enough for wood stove use.

I'm guessing that it's pretty accurate being fresh from the factory. Good enough for wood stove use.

I would put my money on the Tel-Tru also.

More coils, protected from any wind or blower interference, on the bottom. And used by many BBQ's world wide.

Condars are a good instrument also. I have bought 5 different stove top thermos. The Tel-Tru has tested to be the most accurate. When compared with 2 different IR guns.

What model of tel tru is that, and where did you get it?

I got it the same place Dexter did. You have to select the higher temperature model from the drop-down menu.

Must be a national security thing. Critical thermometer technology. ;lol

Accurate magnetic thermometers (key component for making WMB - Weapons of Mass BBQ). Synthetic stocks. We can not let the Canadians get this!

Think of what would happen! Yummy beef and people hunting in the rain right on our northern border! It just won't do!

What's next? Bagged milk coming south?!?

Reactions: KodiakII
Status
Not open for further replies.