Thermometer placement on a quad 7100 fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
1st year burning with the Quad. and I think I'm being overly cautious about it getting too hot. Once the fire's going good I back the air way down making sure I can still see flames. The only hot place I've found ithe magnet to attach is on the door (upper edge). Will I even get a decent reading there? I had some good fires this weekend, 2 in wide sticks and seasoned wood 21-25%. Thermometer never got over 400 deg.

Pic shows door set up. Thermometer would be at top of door. (not in pic) Downloaded this pic from the quad website.

Attachments

• quad.jpg
    quad.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 275
Moving this to the hearth room since it's directly stove related... I believe most inserts the recommendation is just above the door in the center, but you should probably check the stove manual for certain, or perhaps some of the other Quad owners can help out...

Gooserider

How about an infrared thermometer gun.
You can see the flames and associate that with the temp.
You can aim the gun wherever you want and use it for other stuff.

The HeatnGlo North Star and Heatilator Constitution are basically the same unit as the quad, the quad has just a slightly larger firebox and some additional options. On my North Start, I removed the entire faceplate of the fireplace (Quad is the same, the entire face plate comes off with a few screws, it's required to for maint. of certain items and it's nice for cleaning), I put a mag thermometer at the base of the steel chimney pipe behind the faceplate, once the faceplate is back installed, you can peer in there easily and see it, but it won't be in your way.
I run mine up to 550-650 or so and then close the air off not quite all the way and it cruises down to 200 over the next 4-7 hours. It will usally stay above 500 for at least 2-3 hours and then it starts to slowly drop once the wood enters the coaling phase, which is a clean burn phase anyway so a lower temp is no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.