Thermometer placement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty

Feeling the Heat
Jul 11, 2006
Pittsburgh
My Hearthstone Mansfield recessed install dosen't give me convenient access to the top center stone, which is where the manuall suggests placeing a thermometer. I can see the back side of the flue collar pretty well and my Rutland magnetic thermometer likes to sit there as well... would this position be acceptable? I'm thinking of buying another thermometer to put on the center stone and then pulling it out occasionally to compare the two. So far I have only had 2, 2-3 log, 300° F fires and the thermometer seems to read about the if left in either location.

For your setup i think that's the only place you can put it, and it's better than nothing. But beware that the temp difference will be greater on the cast iron than the soapstone so you won't be able to go by the manuals max temps.

When I had my Homestead I use to move the thermometer around to see the differences. When the top stone was at 500, the cast iron on the back was around 650.

I would think using 2 would be a good idea. If you can squeeze one onto the center stone, I would. After some time and consistant burns, you should be able to tell that if the magnetic one on the stovepipe reads 650, then the center stone one would be around 500, or whatever the correlation is. My guess it would be fairly consistant over the long term.

by the way... very nice setup

Todd said:
When I had my Homestead I use to move the thermometer around to see the differences. When the top stone was at 500, the cast iron on the back was around 650.
Interesting.
I can get it on the center stone but I cant see it when it's there. So maybe I will go with the two thermometers set up and use a glove to pull it out for a comparison at different temps until I have a good chart made up.
Did you ever check the front center stone compared with the center center stone?
I can get at the front center stone from the front of the stove.

Yea, I moved it all over the place and I think it was a little hotter towards the front due to the fact that the baffle directs the heat towards the front. 2 thermometers is probably a good idea.

Thanks guys.
I guess I knew I needed two somewhere in my head but its nice to hear it from someone else as well.

Interesting.
I can get it on the center stone but I cant see it when it's there. So maybe I will go with the two thermometers set up and use a glove to pull it out for a comparison at different temps until I have a good chart made up.
Did you ever check the front center stone compared with the center center stone?
I can get at the front center stone from the front of the stove.

Marty, I took BB's recommendation & bought a HF laser (item # 91778) to save from having to get up & walk over to the heater in order to read my Condar thermometer.

And now with your idea of making a chart such ought to convince the wife that I've been out in the trees waaay toooo long.

In fact she just might consider me out of my tree. In that case, my next post may be from a sanitarium. :lol:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.