1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Thermometer Placement....

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by gman1001, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gman1001

gman1001 Member

Loc:
    Sales
    Coming up on 2nd year with stove and finally bought a thermometer. Package says to screw or wire it to the pipe....

Pipe? I thought these things went directly on top of the stove? If pipe is correct how far up? One problem I have is the pipe coming up & out of the top of my Jotul 3TD is one of those expanding units so its really kinda like a double wall pipe - which will cause misread on the thermometer...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Dave_1

Dave_1 New Member

gman 1001

What type thermometer do you have?

If you can get it at 12" above the flue outlet & on single wall pipe that is in accord with Condar:

<snip>

<snip>

If you cannot you might want to check their website for a surface thermometer

http://www.condar.com/meteruse.html

Dave
  3. Robbie

Robbie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Tennessee- Great Smoky Mountains.
    I had the same problem, so I put mine on the front left, upper corner of my stove where the steel is single wall thickness. It seems to read well. I am also planning on getting a laser thermometer just for areas like like pipe etc.

Robbie
  4. Marty

Marty Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Pittsburgh
    I think your stoves manual will tell you where they want you to read the temperature.

No harm reading it elsewhere as well as long asif it is within range where the manufacture wants it read as well.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    They do. You want a magnetic thermometer to place on the top of the stove, to the left or right of center about 4 in. from the edge of the stove top.
  6. lizzybobio

lizzybobio New Member

Sears has a Craftsman infrared thermometer on sale now. $30 off. Reads up to 1,000 degrees. I've been taking readings of everything!
  7. Robbie

Robbie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Thank you much ! I even have a sears card................ :)

Robbie
  8. Robbie

Robbie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    I called my local sears and they have these in stock. But I forgot to ask if this was just a internet sale, guess I'll find out when I go get mine friday.

Man, I can't wait to check my stoves temps from my recliner............ :cheese:

Robbie
  9. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    link dont work . that would be sears.com and the item # is 03450466000
  10. jtcedinburgh

jtcedinburgh New Member

Loc:
    Fife Riviera, Scotland
    We can't get our thermometer high enough up the stove pipe due to the fairly short length of exposed pipe - so it sits approx. 10" above the stove instead. Seems fine - I guess our readings may be a tad higher than those we'd get if we located it further up, but otherwise I can't see that it matters all that much. Am I correct in thinking this?

John
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.