Thermometer Placement....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gman1001

Jan 9, 2006
Sales
Coming up on 2nd year with stove and finally bought a thermometer. Package says to screw or wire it to the pipe....

Pipe? I thought these things went directly on top of the stove? If pipe is correct how far up? One problem I have is the pipe coming up & out of the top of my Jotul 3TD is one of those expanding units so its really kinda like a double wall pipe - which will cause misread on the thermometer...

gman 1001

What type thermometer do you have?

If you can get it at 12" above the flue outlet & on single wall pipe that is in accord with Condar:

<snip>

Installation of Surface Thermometers

Thermometers attach magnetically, directly to metal flue pipe. Optimal location is at eye level, no less than 12 inches above the top of the stove. (If temperature of the flue will exceed 800°F, magnetic strength will decrease and thermometer could fall and burn floor. Drill small hole in fluepipe, place safety screw through eyelet in center of thermometer. If preferred, the surface thermometer may be secured around fluepipe using a wire, through the two holes on sides of thermometer.)”

<snip>

If you cannot you might want to check their website for a surface thermometer

http://www.condar.com/meteruse.html

Dave

I had the same problem, so I put mine on the front left, upper corner of my stove where the steel is single wall thickness. It seems to read well. I am also planning on getting a laser thermometer just for areas like like pipe etc.

Robbie

I think your stoves manual will tell you where they want you to read the temperature.

No harm reading it elsewhere as well as long asif it is within range where the manufacture wants it read as well.

gman1001 said:
Coming up on 2nd year with stove and finally bought a thermometer. Package says to screw or wire it to the pipe....

Pipe? I thought these things went directly on top of the stove? If pipe is correct how far up? One problem I have is the pipe coming up & out of the top of my Jotul 3TD is one of those expanding units so its really kinda like a double wall pipe - which will cause misread on the thermometer...

They do. You want a magnetic thermometer to place on the top of the stove, to the left or right of center about 4 in. from the edge of the stove top.

Robbie said:
I had the same problem, so I put mine on the front left, upper corner of my stove where the steel is single wall thickness. It seems to read well. I am also planning on getting a laser thermometer just for areas like like pipe etc.

Robbie

Sears has a Craftsman infrared thermometer on sale now. $30 off. Reads up to 1,000 degrees. I've been taking readings of everything!

I called my local sears and they have these in stock. But I forgot to ask if this was just a internet sale, guess I'll find out when I go get mine friday.

Man, I can't wait to check my stoves temps from my recliner............ :cheese:

Robbie

link dont work . that would be sears.com and the item # is 03450466000

We can't get our thermometer high enough up the stove pipe due to the fairly short length of exposed pipe - so it sits approx. 10" above the stove instead. Seems fine - I guess our readings may be a tad higher than those we'd get if we located it further up, but otherwise I can't see that it matters all that much. Am I correct in thinking this?

John

Status
Not open for further replies.