Thermometer question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnu

Dec 1, 2006
Just searched archives and still have this question. Most everyone is recommending 2 thermometers; 1 on stove and 1 on flue pipe. I'm venting into a fireplace and will only have about 4-6 inched of flue pipe visible. So, no flue thermometer? If not then do I just learn to use and rely on the stovetop thermometer? Sounds simple enough but thought I might be missing something.

You've got it right. Burn good wood, burn hot and your flue should stay clean.

bcnu said:
Just searched archives and still have this question. Most everyone is recommending 2 thermometers; 1 on stove and 1 on flue pipe. I'm venting into a fireplace and will only have about 4-6 inched of flue pipe visible. So, no flue thermometer? If not then do I just learn to use and rely on the stovetop thermometer? Sounds simple enough but thought I might be missing something.

Thats about right... Find out the best place to use the thermometer on your model stove (this varies a LOT) and go with that. Alternatively you can use a pipe thermometer, but remember that your temps will be much hotter if you are 2" off the stove than if you are a foot or two off.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.