thermometer readings through multiple flue layers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day all,

I am interested in getting a thermometer to track my temp readings (for burning different species and moisture contents as well as calculating heat transfer flows with room ducting) but I have to go through a couple of flue shield layers to get to the active 6" flue. Do I have to cut out these shielding layers to mount a flue thermometer to the active properly, or is there a way of bringing the reading out easily?

For example, I have a cheap $20 multimeter which has themperature leads I can attach to objects and the multimeter tells me temps, but it doesn't go up to fireplace temps unfortunately, or I'd have a simple and cheap solution.

I recommend a good inexpensive type-K thermocouple probe.

I believe you can get them for between $20 and $30 for the probe. and the meter can be had for between $60 and $100

Probe:

McMaster part # 39095K64

Thanks TMonter - that looks like what I'm after. I might get a few probes, for temps in the firebox, flue, blower air and ducting, that can all use the same meter.

I would prefer if possible the meter to be in Celsius, and I couldn't see any listed at Mc's site, so I sent them an email question. Do you have any other sites possibly using metric/celsius I could check?

McMaster won't/don't sell overseas any more. Here is their response to a query and an order I placed:

"Due to the ever-increasing complexity of U.S. Export regulations, McMaster-Carr has decided to only accept orders from a few, long-established customers of ours overseas. We can not provide a quote nor can we accept your orders. We regret any inconvenience this causes you.

Laura Nevrly "

Status
Not open for further replies.