Thermometer Sticking!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to start a new thread about this but I didn't find anything on the forum about this issue.

OK, so I purchased the Rutland magnetic thermometer online because my wood stove store was out of them. After our break-in fires, I put it on the stovetop right in front of the stovepipe. The night it buned so warm I noticed the next morning it still read 500. No way! So I touched the needle and it went down to zero.

Last night we had a nice fire--stayed about 400 and this morning I noticed the thermometer still read about 300. Again, I touched the needle and it zeroed out.

Stupidly, I have tossed the box and paperwork for the thing, but I was wondering if I should try and bend the needle a bit. It seems to be sticking on the base. Any suggestions?

BTW, my manual didn't have any info on where to put the thermometer on the stovetop so I called the dealer yesterday and they said towards the front and right. I want an accurate reading for obvious purposes. Should I buy a new one?

If you buy a new one, buy a flue probe type. Its a more accurate picture of whats going on. As far as the stove top, bend it back where it doenst hang up, then go down to a hobby shop that sells RC cars and what not and buy a $25 infrared one. Then you can take temps all over the stove and not worry about getting burned, and there much more accurate.

Those Rutland thermos are the biggest PITA on the block. I have gone through I don't know how many over the years. They stick and also just flat break. I notice the picture on their website now is a different style. But haven't seen anything but the old style in the stores. Last time I bought a Condar surface mount and it hasn't registered an accruate temp lately.

MSG is right, get ya a non-contact infrared for surface temps and a probe for the flue. After a while you will just go by the flue temp.

If I go infrared, what temps should I be watching for?

IE--not above (fill in the blank) temp in the stovepipe measured 18" above the stove, stovetop, firebox, etc.

The magnetic thermometer has all the zones right on it, but I understand they are mainly for pipe temps, not stovetop.

I have no idea what the firebox temp should be or what the danger zones are with an infrared.

That's why I liked the magnetic one that spells it out for people like me. Heh.

If I go with a flue probe I would have to drill a hole in the double walled pipe (hubby is no Bob The Builder and neither am I) and I don't want to mess with the integrity of the pipe if I can help it.

BrotherBart said:
Those Rutland thermos are the biggest PITA on the block. I have gone through I don't know how many over the years. They stick and also just flat break. I notice the picture on their website now is a different style. But haven't seen anything but the old style in the stores. Last time I bought a Condar surface mount and it hasn't registered an accruate temp lately.

MSG is right, get ya a non-contact infrared for surface temps and a probe for the flue. After a while you will just go by the flue temp.

The new one on their website is the one I purchased online. It's large and was easy to read. Too bad it doesn't work!

Agreed, the Rutland appears to be junk. I don't like having exposed pointer. The one I use is behind glass. 25 yrs. old and still working well. I sent a letter to Condar asking them to consider making a glass protected dial model.

I try to keep a surface mount temp on the pipe between 250 and 400. With the probe internal temp 400 to 800. The high side is going to come on start-up or reload and settle as the fire settles down.

Surface temp I shoot for a steady five hundred. Some talk about running at six most of the time but since secondary burn on the Englander shows up for the dance at around 450 and 500 hundred at a quarter air gives me a clean exhaust and a happy, warm BrotherBart. England Stove advised running at 400 surface temp but I don't think the guys at the plant have to clean the chimneys around there.

BeGreen said:
Agreed, the Rutland appears to be junk. I don't like having exposed pointer. The one I use is behind glass. 25 yrs. old and still working well. I sent a letter to Condar asking them to consider making a glass protected dial model.

Agreed. I keep intending to order one of these. Being the barbecue thermometer type of guy that I am lately.

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/new/st1.htm

ha ha , i brought those in this year for grills, they didnt go over to well. Maybe i should put them in the stove department...

Attachments

• B000AQE69U.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V55562236_.jpg
    B000AQE69U.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V55562236_.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 374
Nice. Do you know if it's magnetic or does it just sit on the surface?

Yeah, my dealer said to keep the surface temp burn between 400-500. We shut down the air at 400 last night after we had the logs burning good and the secondary burn kicked in. We tried shutting it down around 350 and a few minutes later it seemed to be going out so I opened it up again. We may still have some moisture in the stove since we haven't had many fires except the break-in fires. It's been too warm here.

Temps stayed right around 400 before I finally went to bed. Hubby said it was still nice and warm when he got up this morning. It's a smaller stove than our old smokey, but we only heat the living room so don't need a big stove and went smaller. Our bedroom is downstairs and I like sleeping in a cold room with a down comforter and no room heat.

I've gone from total ignorance to near paranoia after we had the new install and saw the condition of that pipe! I know our new stove, chimney and pipes are safe and I'd like to get comfortable about burning wood again but I find myself looking at the thermometer all the time worrying about overfiring the new stove. I had never even heard of a wood stove thermometer or overfiring until I read here. They say ignorance is bliss and boy was I ignorant!

I truly do appreciate this place and hope that soon I'll just be able to relax and enjoy my beautiful stove and new hearth without all the worry.

You guys are wonderful and thanks for all the information you provide!

MountainStoveGuy said:
I posed a photo, it just sits on the top.

Which is great with me. I just want it to sit on top of the stove and tell me the temp. And then in May move its lil self right outside to the grill.

good call BB, i went and took one off the shelf and threw it on one of the burn displays, it works great! it much higher quality then the ones i sell for woodstoves.

Intresting, i have both of the thermometers on the stove, one of the open face cheapos and one of the ones i showed in the photo. The one in the photo is reading about 50* cooler then the other. I wonder which is right? I wonder if rutland or condor build in a margin of saftey on there stove top thermometers.

uhh ohh BB, did a test with a laser thermomter. The grill one is way off, the stove one is so close i couldnt tell the difference.

MountainStoveGuy said:
uhh ohh BB, did a test with a laser thermomter. The grill one is way off, the stove one is so close i couldnt tell the difference.

I have the same thing happen with the Rutland and Condar when I check'em with the laser thermo. I check the laser by aiming it at a regular thermometer on the wall and then go over to the stove. The darn surface thermos are off every time according to it. And according to each other when they are sitting side by side. No two of them ever agree!

I think I will use my old grandpa's method. Spit on the stove and see how much it sizzles. Not when I am drinking straight Scotch though.

I dont own any thermometer at home for the stove. Honestly, i never check my stack temp or my stove temp. If im cold, i turn it up, if im hot, i let it burn out. Worked for me for years... LMAO

MountainStoveGuy said:
I dont own any thermometer at home for the stove. Honestly, i never check my stack temp or my stove temp. If im cold, i turn it up, if im hot, i let it burn out. Worked for me for years... LMAO

Actually the best way to do it. With the soapstone stoves ya damn sure ain't gonna melt'em down.

I am still a little leary with the new stove after the two near melt downs with the firebox crack on the old one. And can't get used to a steel stove not being built like an Abrams tank like the old ones. If this one was of as thick of plate steel as the old one the sucker would weigh 700 pounds though.

MountainStoveGuy said:

Thats what i do and got used to running the stove this way , it wasnt until this year i bought a thermometer for the top of the stove , i set the stove as needed and per the digital thermometers i have for different rooms in the home.
After i set the stove to how i want it i might check the stove top thermometer just to see any differences as per our yacking on the forum otherwise i dont use it to set the stove.

Roospike said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

That what i do ad get used to running the stove this way , it wasnt until this year i bought a thermometer for the top of the stove , i set the stove as needed and per the digital thermometers i have for different rooms in the home.
After i set the stove to how i want it i might check the stove top thermometer just to see any differences as per our yacking on the forum otherwise i dont use it to set the stove.

Yeah but we don't have Summits that call you on your cell phone if they are getting too hot or too cold. EBT (Excessive Burn Telecommunications).

I said I was going to quit picking on the Summit. I lied. I went out and bought a pretty neat wood stove that cost the sales tax on the Summit so I gotta pick on the big boy on the block.

BrotherBart said:
Roospike said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

That what i do ad get used to running the stove this way , it wasnt until this year i bought a thermometer for the top of the stove , i set the stove as needed and per the digital thermometers i have for different rooms in the home.

Yeah but we don't have Summits that call you on your cell phone if they are getting too hot or too cold. EBT (Excessive Burn Telecommunications).

I said I was going to quit picking on the Summit. I lied. I went out and bought a pretty neat wood stove that cost the sales tax on the Summit so I gotta pick on the big boy on the block.

*********** :lol: ************

The old SandHill thermometer I use came with our 1980 VC Resolute when we bought it new. I still like it. The new Condor 3-19 came today. Seems a little flimsy, but it's installed and doing its thing now. It's mounted about 24" above the stovetop. So far, with the stove top cruising at 450, the stack temp is 400. Seems like a lot of heat going up there.

BeGreen said:
The old SandHill thermometer I use came with our 1980 VC Resolute when we bought it new. I still like it. The new Condor 3-19 came today. Seems a little flimsy, but it's installed and doing its thing now. It's mounted about 24" above the stovetop. So far, with the stove top cruising at 450, the stack temp is 400. Seems like a lot of heat going up there.

If that Castine is cruising at 450 it sounds like ya finally got a handle on that puppy. Actually with the moon and stars in synch you are going to find stove top and flue gas temp about equal.

Another way to test thermometers is to stick them in the oven. I tried this with 3 different thermometers at once. 2 were over by about 75 degrees. One was about the same as the oven temp. But then again, who knows how accurate the oven is?

Status
Not open for further replies.