Thermometer: stove pipe vs. stove top

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwells794

Jul 22, 2015
Virginia
What is more important to keep an eye on, the stove pipe or the stove top? I know you don't want to under-fire and risk excess creosote build up in the liner, but you also don't want to over-fire and risk heat induced cracking on your stove (especially mine, its brand new!). Are their any thermometers that are better than others for sticking right on the stove top?

I think stove pipe, but use an internal probe one. Stove top temp can fluctuate too much. An over fire can happen in seconds internal stove pipe will tell you right away what's going on.

What is more important to keep an eye on, the stove pipe or the stove top? I know you don't want to under-fire and risk excess creosote build up in the liner, but you also don't want to over-fire and risk heat induced cracking on your stove (especially mine, its brand new!). Are their any thermometers that are better than others for sticking right on the stove top?

Gotta admit, I value the information from both and have meters on flue and stovetop on each stove. On the non-cat I can overtemp the stove or overtemp the flue independently so you need to watch both.

Reactions: bholler
I go by pipe themometer mainly just because that is how i was taught but either will work fine. unless like highbeam said you have a cat stove then the cat probe is most important

I go by pipe themometer mainly just because that is how i was taught but either will work fine. unless like highbeam said you have a cat stove then the cat probe is most important

Actually, on my cat stove I have the flue meter, stove top meter, and cat temp probe. The cat stove could be run with only the cat meter if I really trusted the thermostat and engineering.

The non-cats can get exciting (WRT flue temps) during full throttle warm up and then exciting again WRT stove top temps after you've choked it down somewhat.

I prefer condar stove top meters and flue probe meters. I think they also made my cat probe meters. I've had rutland meters and they are okay but lower quality.

I was wondering this question myself. I was considering getting the Auber instruments thermometer system and they offer three different temperature probe options:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=292

One is for stove top and the other two are for pipe. Since I have a good 'ol fashioned stove top thermometer, I was leaning towards the stove pipe options, but even then I'm not sure. I have single wall pipe, but my chimney is almost entirely a flex liner which is connected to a T at the back of my stove. Not sure how the "single wall" washer probe would fare on that and was considering the double wall style probe, even though my chimney isn't double wall. Anyone have experience with any of these options and care to comment on effectiveness?

What I actually use for my stove pipe thermometer is one from my old Weber grill. Just drilled a hole and stuck the probe in.

I think stove pipe, but use an internal probe one. Stove top temp can fluctuate too much. An over fire can happen in seconds internal stove pipe will tell you right away what's going on.
can i drill my double wall stove pipe and install an internal probe or no because it is double wall?

can i drill my double wall stove pipe and install an internal probe or no because it is double wall?
probes are made specifically for double wall. A surface thermometer would not tell you much of anything on double wall

probes are made specifically for double wall. A surface thermometer would not tell you much of anything on double wall
Even on single wall pipes surface thermometers are not accurate. Every one I tried runs 100 degrees or more too low compared to inside pipe temp.

Even on single wall pipes surface thermometers are not accurate. Every one I tried runs 100 degrees or more too low compared to inside pipe temp.
They are just fine. Yes they read lower on the surface than what you have inside but the marking on them take that into account. And by the way all of the probes i have seen probes are not very accurate on single wall either the high surface temp gives you higher readings that it should that is why they say for double wall pipe. There may be ones calibrated for single wall but i have not seen any. Also they really don't need to be terribly accurate. We are talking about ranges here

i have a blaze king princess. this is my first cat stove and I have not even fired it yet. won't the flue temps be way low compared to the markings on the thermometer?

i have a blaze king princess. this is my first cat stove and I have not even fired it yet. won't the flue temps be way low compared to the markings on the thermometer?
Follow the instructions that came with the stove. Yes it will run at a lower temp than many stoves but you still need to keep the exhaust above the condensation point. Your most important reading with a cat stove is the cat temp. The others matter yes but not as much

Reactions: Wisneaky
Follow the instructions that came with the stove. Yes it will run at a lower temp than many stoves but you still need to keep the exhaust above the condensation point. Your most important reading with a cat stove is the cat temp. The others matter yes but not as much
i plan on following the instructions but they mention nothing about monitoring flue temps and i would like to just because that's how I am. just wondering if the markings on an internal probe thermometer will make any sense

just wondering if the markings on an internal probe thermometer will make any sense
Yes they will but you should typically be running on the lower end of the normal operating temps

Reactions: Highbeam

Links or pics to said probes, please? I've got the std surface temp gauge and never considered a pipe temp gauge.

Thanks!

Links or pics to said probes, please? I've got the std surface temp gauge and never considered a pipe temp gauge.
Thanks!
Are you using double wall connector pipe?

What I actually use for my stove pipe thermometer is one from my old Weber grill. Just drilled a hole and stuck the probe in.
How long is the probe? If you are really concerned with accuracy you need the right length probe. It should be in the outside 1/3 of the flue for the best readings

How long is the probe? If you are really concerned with accuracy you need the right length probe. It should be in the outside 1/3 of the flue for the best readings
It is 5" I get close to the same temp if I shoot inside through my baro with my ir gun.

For those of you that are monitoring flue temperatures. How hot are you seeing in the pipe, compared to what you are seeing in the stove? How high are you probing away from the stove? Are you taking your stove readings in the firebox or above the baffle plate? I have never monitored internal, just surface stove temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.