Thermometer: stove pipe vs. stove top

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is 5" I get close to the same temp if I shoot inside through my baro with my ir gun.
5" is pretty good it is suposed to be 4.5 for 6" pipe but 5 should be fine. What stove are you running a baro damper on?

How high are you probing away from the stove?
It is supposed to be 18" from the stove

Are you taking your stove readings in the firebox or above the baffle plate? I have never monitored internal, just surface stove temperature.
Very few people monitor internal temps unless it is a cat probe.

don't they make one without all the pretty colors? like a regular black with white numbering. I can't seem to find one.
I have seen ones that are mostly black but i dont know where ill keep my eye out for them

Reactions: Woody harrelson
5" is pretty good it is suposed to be 4.5 for 6" pipe but 5 should be fine. What stove are you running a baro damper on?
I have a Shelter forced air wood furnace. I burn coal also so the damper is a must. Coal runs real low draft -.02 to -.03 range.

I have a Shelter forced air wood furnace. I burn coal also so the damper is a must. Coal runs real low draft -.02 to -.03 range.
Yeah for coal it is definitely a must. I don't know that furnace but i hate to see a baro on a wood burning appliance it seriously drops the exhaust temps.

Yeah for coal it is definitely a must. I don't know that furnace but i hate to see a baro on a wood burning appliance it seriously drops the exhaust temps.
I adjust the baro when I burn wood to increase the draft and temp.

I adjust the baro when I burn wood to increase the draft and temp.
On many we recommend capping the tee when they are burning wood. But like i said i dont know your furnace it may need a baro. So i am not about to give you advice on a unit i do not know.

don't they make one without all the pretty colors? like a regular black with white numbering. I can't seem to find one.

I own the linked probe meter for the double wall on my princess. It is mounted per the instructions 18" above the stovetop. First you drill a 3/16" hole all the way through both layers and then open the outer hole up to 1/4" for the grommet. It's all easy and clear in the instructions. Just be sure that you hold your drill level and square to the room so that the meter faces properly.

Accuracy matters. The redline for chimney is 1000 degrees. I regularly bumped that number when I was using the meter above my hearthstone. Man that stove wasted a lot of heat up the stack. Low cruise was at 800+

On my BK the flue temps when cruising are barely in the "normal" range at 400 up to about 600 when I'm jacking around with higher burn rates.

The probe meter from condar is made for double wall pipe. The probe is just a solid piece of copper with the purpose of conducting heat to the dial where the bimetallic spring is. Don't worry about cutting the probe to fit.

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: Woody harrelson
Same set up here. I too was astounded by the temps you were seeing. Our stove reads about the same as what you are seeing. It doesn't get above 6-700F in the flue unless I have a space out. With a timer nearby that doesn't happen too often. Normal cruising is about 100 to 150F below stove top temp.

Reactions: Highbeam
Yes.

As mentioned by many others . . . I use both a stove top thermo (and an IR thermo for even more accurate temps) and a probe style thermo for my double wall pipe.

The stove top thermo I mostly use to monitor the stove's temp to insure it is not over-fired, but some folks use the stove top temps to determine when to dial down the air or open up the air.

The stovepipe thermo I use to keep the temp in the Goldilocks Zone (not too cold to cause excessive creosote build up and not too hot to light off any creosote in the chimney), but I also tend to rely on it more to adjust the air control as well.

I've never really compared the two thermos to each other to see what the temp variances are . . .

Is there a way to monitor flue temps if you have a fire place install?

I just use an ir temp gun and periodically shoot the liner that is visible. Maybe not ideal but it works. If the liner is still shiny/reflective you may need to darken a section before you can get an accurate reading.

I own the linked probe meter for the double wall on my princess. It is mounted per the instructions 18" above the stovetop. First you drill a 3/16" hole all the way through both layers and then open the outer hole up to 1/4" for the grommet. It's all easy and clear in the instructions. Just be sure that you hold your drill level and square to the room so that the meter faces properly.

Accuracy matters. The redline for chimney is 1000 degrees. I regularly bumped that number when I was using the meter above my hearthstone. Man that stove wasted a lot of heat up the stack. Low cruise was at 800+

On my BK the flue temps when cruising are barely in the "normal" range at 400 up to about 600 when I'm jacking around with higher burn rates.

The probe meter from condar is made for double wall pipe. The probe is just a solid piece of copper with the purpose of conducting heat to the dial where the bimetallic spring is. Don't worry about cutting the probe to fit.
Your new hearth is looking good. Nice job

Reactions: Highbeam
Status
Not open for further replies.