Thermometer types

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trktrd

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2010
Arkansas
I'm a bit confused about thermometers. The one on my stove is a Condar Catalytic thermoter. It inserts through a hole in the stove top next to the flue collar and about 1" behind the CATs. About 1" of it is actually inside the stove and the rest is open betweeen the stove top and the sheet metal top. My question is what's the difference between a CAT thermo and a stove top seeing they are both basically in the same place. I would think that when the CAT reaches 1200 the stove top it is inserted into would be the same temp.

Cat thermo measures the cat, stove top measures the stove top. Big difference in temps between the two.

Cat reading 1200 then stove top probably 600. Big difference between inside the stove and outside the stove.

So, other than the cat thermometer (which is the only one I have) would a stove-top and stovepipe thermometer be of any use? So far just trying to keep the one I have in the "normal" range and assuming all else is well.

I have to say yes. On our stove we do not have a cat thermometer but use only the stove top and flue thermometer. I find that it is very easy to fine tune the stove knowing those two temperatures. The cat probe will definitely tell you if the cat is operating properly but I still like to know what the actual stove top temperature is. The flue temperature is also important to know that the flue is warm enough so you won't get too cool of a draft and producing creosote. Also, I will many times use the flue temperature to know when to engage the cat (500 degrees) along with 250 degree stove top.

So, If I were to get a stove-top thermometer, I'm not sure how to attach it. My stove has a sheet metal outer shell. Would I have to cut a piece out and attach it to the actual stove steel?

Good question! With the outer shell, one would need to know what kind of a difference in temperature readings to expect. Perhaps you should forget the stove top and just add one to the flue. If so, I've found the Condar the best. Some have had good luck with the Rutlands but not us. They were way off on temperature readings. I got ours through Woodstock. They are cheap so I'd advise buying two. Then, using the kitchen oven, do a little checking on temperature. Try different temperature readings to see how accurate it is. Best is a laser temp reading but the kitchen oven will work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.