thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimcope

Aug 1, 2008
howell mi
I would like to get a thermometer to put on top of my wood insert to see how hot it gets. Does any one else have one on their stove.
JIMC

Yes indeed, taking the patients temperature will be of great help in treating many heat related concerns. Sorry to say I don't have an insert - but do have a thermometer. I'm sure help will be along soon. You can also try the "search" function

jim c said:
I would like to get a thermometer to put on top of my wood insert to see how hot it gets. Does any one else have one on their stove.
JIMC

I don't think you really need a thermometer for the pellet stove, but definitely for the insert. They're widely available and not very expensive. If your local hardware store doesn't have them, you can find them easily on the Internet.

Get ya one of those little pistol shaped gun laser units. You can sit on the couch across the room and take readings, provide a red dot on the floor for the cat to chase and locate air leaks and cold spots. Neat little device for $30 made in China bucks Harbor Freight Tools but it works well for the price. It probably isn't the handiest for your specific task but is quite handy just the same.

I put it on the front, in the upper left hand corner just clearing the door. This particular therm is a little bigger than some others. I have it so it just clears the door (a hair of it is in the vent path). I put the smaller round black one I had, on the stove top to see if there's a difference in temperature. Seems the center of the stove top runs about 100 degrees hotter that the face of the stove.

So... Either in the corner above the door or/and the stove top would be good I would think.

If you don't have a magnetic stove thermometer you can always try an oven thermometer - the kind that stands up and has a round face. They're cheap and available at grocery stores. I remember using one on a small free standing stove several years ago. I would just set the thermometer on the very top of the stove and would generally record temps of 350 F. However, I now have an insert stove and record temps up to 700F with a magnetic thermometer. Maybe the temperature is higher because the magnetic thermometer sits flush against the stove? Seems like 700 F would be too hot for an oven thermometer.

Custer I have one of those stove thermometers, I wanted to be able to read it from across the room, instead of getting off my duff and walking over to the stove. But I checked mine against my IR and it's 100* off. I believe that thermometer has to be inside the oven to work. So I put my Rutland back on top of the stove.

I know what you mean, Smokey. Over thermometers are probably under-estimating the surface temp because they don't sit flush against the stove. They usually sit an inch or two above the stove surface. But it's still better than nothing and gives you a relative idea of how hot your stove is compared to the day before. . . . not as good as a magnetic thermometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.