Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wallpaper79

Hearth Supporter
Jul 23, 2008
NL Canada
I was wondering what you insert guys use for a thermometer. I burned my last year a little and did not use a thermometer. This winter I plan on using my inser 24/7 and would feel more comfortable with a thermometer in place.

Cheers

I use an IR thermometer, as there is no good place to mount one on the 550. Works great and the wife likes the looks, as it is usually out of sight when not in use. ;-)

The Rutland stove top thermometer has been brought up quit a few times as a cheap 'ballpark guess' thermometer - though the zones listed seem to be a bit conservative and even the accuracy of the thermometer is sometimes questionable.

url][369x500]&sink;.gif

IR guns are always popular and relatively cheap if found on sale - just be sure to account for the emittance of a surface. Most of the cheapies are calibrated for about .95 which is a pretty good approximation of most surfaces including black stoves. But if you start pointing it at a polished or bare stainless liner, brass fittings, glazed porcelain or enameled surfaces, etc you could be off (low) by several hundred degrees. A few also run stack thermometers - with a probe actually inserted in the flue gas. But anything you choose is more of a guide to see how the stove reacts to your inputs than trying to make the stove run at exactly XXX degrees F.

Status
Not open for further replies.