Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
I have one Thermometer on the stove pipe, just a magnetic one. I want to measure stovetop temps, and was considering leaving the one on the pipe and putting the same on the stove top. Many here use the type that have a stem going into the pipe. Is that method that much better?

It is probably more accurate but I've never felt the need. We use the magnetic type on both the stove top and flue. The best ones I've found are the condar and we got ours through Woodstock.

If I had singlewall pipe I would just stick with a magnetic thermometer for both the flue and the stove . . . if I had doublewall pipe then I would go with the probe style thermometer since it would undoubtedly be more accurate than simply sticking a magnetic thermometer on to doublewall pipe.

firefighterjake said:
If I had singlewall pipe I would just stick with a magnetic thermometer for both the flue and the stove . . . if I had doublewall pipe then I would go with the probe style thermometer since it would undoubtedly be more accurate than simply sticking a magnetic thermometer on to doublewall pipe.

What he said. :)

I have two thermometers- one on stove top and one on pipe. I like to compare the two temperatures to see the difference in temperatures to see how both my stove is performing and how much heat I have going up the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.