Thermometers to check stove temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwise.157

Burning Hunk
Oct 24, 2013
heath, ohio
This probably has been discussed before, but will ask again.

What are the best thermometers to use to check stove temperatures for wood burning inserts?

I have a quadrafire insert installed in a prefab fireplace. I can't see the stove pipe. The only part of the insert that is visible is the front of the insert. The rest is tucked in behind the flashing around the insert, so not sure what is the best way to check stove temps.

I also have an insert and found an IR thermometer to be best. My hottest spot in the accessible front is in the center above the door but there would not be enough room to place a stove thermometer. I can also get some readings from the stovetop by pointing the IR thermometer in the air channel above the insert. It's not super-accurate, though, as it is hard to measure a defined area there. What you can try to compare temps in the front with actual stovetop temps is the following: Pull off the surround and remove the top of the air channel to expose the actual stovetop. With the blower off run a few fires. During those measure the hottest spot on the top and the hottest spot you can find in the front. Make a (mental) note of the difference. Once you know that difference you can put everything back together and use that spot in the front as a guide for the stovetop temp.

I have a free standing unit and use (2) cheapo rutland thermometers, they work fine for me. Just remember that some of the thermometers have a little learning curve, I have the one that sits on the upper right side of the stove, above the door latch, and the other one is mounted on the stack about a foot above the stove. I know that when the needle on the stove thermometer is under the halfway way point on the stove (which indicates 350 - 400 deg) and the one mounted on the pipe is 200-250deg im burning optimum. I would like to get IR gun, but these work fine for now

Which Quad insert?

I have the 2700i. It was the only model that would fit without doing extensive work to the Heath. Being that it is small, 1.8cu ft. firebox, I don't think I can really over heat it too much. I pushed it really hard last winter in the -30 degree weather, and she walked and talked like a beauty! It was our first winter with one, and cut our propane use from 1,000 gallons to only 300 for the year. But, I don't have a thermometer, and have read on here where everyone should have one.

You don't need anything more than the cheep bimetal type. Check the manual for the recommended location, if they have one. I guess it would be the hottest spot. It's only a reference point, I barley look at mine. If you feel cold, put some wood in it, burn hot clean fires. If you need steady heat, maintain a nice controlled burn, don't smolder. When you get good, like many of the guys here, you can run the stove by feel and maintain a constant room temperature. More important for me is a room thermometer. it gets to 80 and i get very used to it.

I have only burned for one winter, but feel like I have a good grasp on the stove. When I cleaned the chimney this spring, after burning 4 to 5 cords, I had about half an ice cream pail of ash build-up from 24 feet of chimney. I felt that meant I was doing something right!

Status
Not open for further replies.