Thermometers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodjack

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2008
Woodstock, NY
This is my first year burning so I'm still on a steep learning curve and trying to be a good student. As suggested by some of you Pyro Extroadinaires I stuck my thermometer on the front of my wood stove (an old TempWood top loader). My chimney sweep came the other day and the first thing he did was take it off and stuck it on my flue pipe about 18 inches above the top plate. I hear some guys in this forum quoting temperatures of 650-750 degrees - can't be on the flue, right?. What, where, how much thermometer?

If your stack is 650-750 that is too hot.
I am in agreeance with your sweep, the pipe is the place for the thermometer.
Some instalations and all inserts cannot use the pipe however.

Mr. Chimney sweep said to keep it 200 - 500 degrees on the stack. From what I've read in this forum 200 sounds like it would break the wood burners Bill of Rights. Mr. Chimney sweep is a 25 year old kid, not to say that he's not an expert, but I trust the seasoned wood on this forum more. I'm just looking to get it right.

You want a minimum of 230 on the stove pipe so the gasses are above the boiling point of water so it doesn't condense on the pipe and turn into creosote.

woodjack said:
This is my first year burning so I'm still on a steep learning curve and trying to be a good student. As suggested by some of you Pyro Extroadinaires I stuck my thermometer on the front of my wood stove (an old TempWood top loader). My chimney sweep came the other day and the first thing he did was take it off and stuck it on my flue pipe about 18 inches above the top plate. I hear some guys in this forum quoting temperatures of 650-750 degrees - can't be on the flue, right?. What, where, how much thermometer?

This is going to vary a lot depending on the stove, stove type, location of the flue stat, wood being burnt, etc. Our old F602 would regularly see 700+ degree stack temps on startup. You had to watch the stove and not space out the air control. The F3CB on the same stack cruised at about 400-500 deg max. Our Jotul F400 on the new double-wall flue falls between 250 and 450. Tradergordo with his downdraft everburn is seeing much higher stack temps.

A couple of things to note. 250 at the thermometer is going to likely mean a lot cooler at the top of the stack. I prefer to have the thermometer read 350-400 when the wood is in strong secondary burn. The most important period to keep the stack temp up is while the wood gases are being burned off. Later in the burn, if the stack temp drops down to 250 when the wood is in red full red hot coaling stage, I don't worry about it.

Don't beat me up on this question or what I burn LOL!!!! I have a Harman Mark III wood/coal stove. I can only burn coal because wood just burns way too hot. My question is this. I want to put a thermostat on the stove to see how hot I am burning. What kind of thermostat do I need? Where do I place it and what temps do I run at? Where do I get one?

Thanks for the replies!!!!

Bryan

[[[[[[["Don’t beat me up on this question or what I burn LOL!!!! I have a Harman Mark III wood/coal stove. I can only burn coal because wood just burns way too hot. My question is this. I want to put a thermostat on the stove to see how hot I am burning. What kind of thermostat do I need? Where do I place it and what temps do I run at? Where do I get one?]]]]]

Go on Rutland webiste, http://www.rutland.com/FC&H;_html/701.html.

You can buy these at any stove shop though. If you have a tractor Supply they still might have some left. Home Depot had some of these left too but not for long. About 10 bucks, worth every penny

Don't get confused with internal and external temps. Some people have the external magnetic thermometers, and others have the internal probe type that read twice as high. I like to monitor both stove top and internal stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.