ThermoPex question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Coach

Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
We are getting ready to put in our 6048. I have a question about installing the Thermopex. It does not seem to want to bend upward under our pad. We have not poured the pad yet, so we ran the trench underneath the pad to come straight up. The pex will not stay on the ground. How much bend is allowed to get the pex to come straight up.

when i got my 1 inch pex it was in about 4 1/2 foot across round roll but when i ran it to my house prior to installing my pad it bent pretty easily enough that when i added some dirt it stayed in place

I used a similar pipe to connect my boiler and the trench under the slab had to go about 5' deep to make the bend up thru the floor. Recall the size coil the pipe came in that should be able to take a bit more , it helps to have a way to put force on the end of the cable and force the bend . I used my 4 wheeler and a logging chain the stuff is pretty tuff . When you get it turned enough you will need some weight to hold it in place I used some cinder blocks and then drove some u shaped rebar into the ground to hold it in place then I pulled up the blocks threw in some gravel and threw the blockd back in.
As you pull on the pipe have someone watch to see if/when the covering begins to crease and stop at that point and relax it a little bit you are near the max bend the pipe can handle.

I installed Thermopex in my garage by cutting an 18in square hole in the floor for the entrance and making a big sweeping bend approximately 4 ft deep coming up to the 18in hole. Backfill as you go for tighter turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.