Thermostat cycle question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
So I'm looking to get a theromstat to control my St. Croix Hastings. My question is this......

When I shut the stove off, there's a good 30 or so minutes of cool down time before the fan actually stops blowing. If I hook up a thermostat to it, let's say the room hit the thermostat set temp, so the stove begins the shut down process, but 2 minutes later, the thermostat calls for heat again, what will happen? If there's still some left over flame from the last cycle, and the tstat calls for heat again, won't the stove drop pellets for 2 minutes again thinking its starting from the beginning? Is that safe? Comments/suggestions?

I don't know anything about the specifics of your Hastings, but you may notice that as the stove cools down that there is still hot then warm air being blown into the room by your stove which in of itself is still adding more heat into the air.

A lot of thermostats are adjustable, but the norm is that the room temperature would have to drop a minimum of 1° before it calls for heat once again. If it seems like your thermostat is cycling much too often, you can always adjust the temperature differential to 2° or 3° if necessary.

I'm sure others will chime in with other suggestions.

Steve

I have never seen a thermostat call for heat 2 min after the stove or furnace shuts down. It would have to be a very drafty house, really never happens.
My Quadra came with thermostat and it did state to set the anticipator to the lowest setting, that would be .15 amp.

I have a st croix afton bay and have it set in the smartstat setting as you must right now. If the stove calls for heat during the cool down cycle it will simply relight and run again until temp is reached. It takes about 30 minutes for the stove to cool and the fan to shut down completely but the flame goes out just a minute or to after the stove begins to shut down so no way it's goin to call for heat that quick (unless you have a window open). When the temp is below lets say 28 degrees then simply place the thermostat setting from smartstat to thermostat and the stove will have a very low continuos flame. When its that cold out you don't want the stove going on and off all day long. The smartstat setting is for chilly day (avove 30).

Status
Not open for further replies.