Thermostat for a Breckwell P24 stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Breckwell

Aug 30, 2009
Pa
When I had my stove installed last year the installer put in a cheap 250 millivolt thermostat that isn't worth a dime. The owners manual says you can use a 250 or 500 millivolt thermostat on the stove. But I can't find any out there. They are all 750 millivolt. I see they have a remote one on their web site but who wants to pay that kind of money when a wall unit would work just fine. Anyone know where I could get a thermostat and will a higher millivolt work?

Not familiar with that model stove, but if its like most others any millivolt thermostat should work since all its doing is completing the circuit. I think the only reason they specify millivolt tstats is so you don't somehow wire it up wrong, power the tstat wrong and send 24VAC, 110VAC, or 220VAC to your board.

What's wrong with the one you have?

dac122 said:
Not familiar with that model stove, but if its like most others any millivolt thermostat should work since all its doing is completing the circuit. I think the only reason they specify millivolt tstats is so you don't somehow wire it up wrong, power the tstat wrong and send 24VAC, 110VAC, or 220VAC to your board.

It's a cheap snap type thermostat with no degree numbers just a slider. You can set it on the hairy edge of going off and it takes some high heat to get the thing to work on the low setting then when on the low setting you darn near freeze and have to turn it back up. So last winter I ran the stove on the number two setting most of the winter and left the thermostat off.

Breckwell said:
dac122 said:

It's a cheap snap type thermostat with no degree numbers just a slider. You can set it on the hairy edge of going off and it takes some high heat to get the thing to work on the low setting then when on the low setting you darn near freeze and have to turn it back up. So last winter I ran the stove on the number two setting most of the winter and left the thermostat off.

Then a cheap mercury tstat like this ubiquitous Honeywell round tstat should do, or even cheaper like this one. Or go for a digital one if you like the look and don't mind replacing batteries. Just make sure you follow Breckwell's minimum recommended distance from stove, if they have one.

Breckwell said:
When I had my stove installed last year the installer put in a cheap 250 millivolt thermostat that isn't worth a dime. The owners manual says you can use a 250 or 500 millivolt thermostat on the stove. But I can't find any out there. They are all 750 millivolt. I see they have a remote one on their web site but who wants to pay that kind of money when a wall unit would work just fine. Anyone know where I could get a thermostat and will a higher millivolt work?

You can use a 750 millivolt thermostat on a new stove that has the latest version of control panel. If it is an older one you might not be able to get a 750 millivolt thermostat to work with the stove. All 250 and 500 millivolts work will all Breckwell stoves that accept a thermostat.

Some thermostats that should work with the unit include, but are not limited to the following:
Condar Millistat from www.condar.com
Honeywell – Model RTH110B and TS86A from www.honeywell.com
Rite Temp - Model 6022 from www.ritetemp-thermostats.com
Braeburn - Model 2000 www.prothermostats.com/product.php?p=braeburn_2000&product=172295

if it says to use a millivolt stat then you would want to use a millivolt stat, if you use a regular 24v stat they will have a heat anticipator on it which will act as a resistor in the stat. that may not allow the electonics to work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.