Thermostat for dummies, please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3 tanks last year, pellet stove install is set for 9/3
You must be like a kid in the weeks before Christmas. I bsolutely could not wait for my install date to arrive.

You may already know this but in case you don't, when you light the stove for the first time, it is normal for your stove to smoke for a short time as the heat cures the paint. It will stop in about an hour or so.

Reactions: 08specB
that makes sense. Prob with us is that the calcium in the water corrodes* the heating coil so I am going tankless on demand electric to save space and eliminate the boiler from running all the time. I would replace the coil but it would go bad in a year or 3 no telling. Last year we went through 3 tanks of oil I think and this year with our first baby on the way in less than 2 months we know we have to keep the house warmer.

Have you run the numbers on a electric tankless? If you have 200 amp service and want decent waterflow for a shower you are quickly approaching if not above the 160amps ( 20 % derated ) for 200 amp service. ( electric dryer, stove , household utilities )

Have you run the numbers on a electric tankless? If you have 200 amp service and want decent waterflow for a shower you are quickly approaching if not above the 160amps ( 20 % derated ) for 200 amp service. ( electric dryer, stove , household utilities )

The previous owners put in a 200 amp system when they did the electric pool heater (which is broken and I have never used). They also had a hookup for a hot tub which was not there when I purchased the house. The electrician said that depending on what system I go with I should have enough juice to run the system. I only have one full bath, washer and dryer and 4 sinks however I have not done the research yet as to which system I will be going with to know what it will require/draw.

Go to top of forum,read "how your harman works" 3 times,study,then decide if you really need an external tstat.The built in system works great for most people.

If there was only a "how your St Croix works" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.