Thermostat for gas logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duck

Nov 7, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Ok, if this is in the wrong place, just direct me correctly. I want to hook up my Monessen gas log direct vent unit on to a thermostat. Those folks wanted to sell me a remote one for $200, and I just know I can do it cheaper. I am assuming this is a millivolt type thermostat I am looking for. Running wires is not an issue with placement, I hate replacing batteries in a remote. Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone done this before? In the future, I want to figure out a way to make the logs come on when the heat pump asks for auxiliary heat especially during on peak times for electricity. They eat me up with on peak electricity at 25 cent kw, and 5 cents off peak. Cheaper to run the gas then. Just to make it even, I have an Atlanta Homesteader wood burner in the shop with an 8" supervent stainless (selkirk)chimney in an insulated chase on the outside wall. 'Wood' rather have it in the house, but I am going to do something different next year, just making the gas logs work for now.

you can find milivolt thermostats almost anywear. They cost about $40. You hook them to the TH and the TPTH terminals on the valve

Make sure your stove is heater rated not a decorative fireplace. Decoratives are not meant for a constant source of heat and cannot be hooked up to thermostats per code. Also many times when shopping for thermostats they're not going ot have a clue when you say millivolt, look for MV or 24v.

Status
Not open for further replies.