1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Thermostat for Whitfield Advantage ??

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Bagged Wood, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bagged Wood

Bagged Wood Member

Loc:
    western Va.
    After reading my owners manual about installing a thermostat and hooking it up I still have a question.
    When the room temp gets to where the thermostat switches "off" (back to low in my case) the control board lights start flashing.
    Is this how it is supposed to work? I couldn't find anything in the manual about that. It did say the stove would go to the lowest setting when the temp was high enough which seems to be working right but it says nothing about the control board lights flashing. Not all the lights flash just the ones that stay on when the temp gets low enough to put the stove back on whatever the preset heat output was.

Is this how it should work or do I have a problem somewhere?
    Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. hearthtools

hearthtools Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Oakhurst, California, USA, Earth
    Yes
    when the stove goes into keep fire mode the Board will flash
    This is flashing has made lots of people replace boards when they dont need to

The thermostat and the advantage stoves are tricky to get them dialed in
    The altra grate is a must
    and you may have to dial in the POT settings to get the Low burn to not go out because of long pellets
  3. Bagged Wood

Bagged Wood Member

Loc:
    western Va.
    Thanks for the information.
    I think I have the "standard" burn pot. 13 bars.
    Might need to check on getting the ultra.
    Everything seemed to do "OK" last night it burned on low all night as far as I can tell. I don't think it got cold enough for it to go to the higher setting through the thermostat. Outside temp was 47 when I went to bed and 60 when I got up so I didn't need anything more than the low setting. I got up at 4am and turned it off cause it was 77 in the house.
  4. hearthtools

Loc:
    if you have a 13 or 10 bar you ALREADY have an ultra grate
    it is the OLD burn pot with holes that dont work well with an thermostat.
  5. Bagged Wood

Bagged Wood Member

Loc:
    western Va.
    Checked my parts list and the burn pot I have is listed as "ultra" so I should be OK.
    Thanks for your help
  6. MButkus

MButkus Member

Loc:
    Jersey
    What does the pot have to do with the thermostat ? The thermostat kicks the stove to low when the thermostat connection opens.
  7. hearthtools

Loc:
    With the OLD Original Drop in Grate with small holes would not work well, went the stove ran on low then put to a higher feed rate and then to low again for the holes. the pellets would smother or the holes would build up

Just from my own experience
  8. drtnshtr

drtnshtr New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    I dont have a thermostat but i do have the old style grate and he is right about it building up...I rake my pot out everyday if not twice/day depending on the brand of pellets im burning..I recently purchased a ton of AWF pellets because the dont build up as fast(barely at all) and seem to burn longer and hotter than any of the other 4-5 brands I tried.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.